For some people, new operating systems promise stormy weather — and a rocky ride as users navigate through new ways to work with their PCs.
For savvy old computing salts, the trick might be finding as much familiar ground as possible in the new OS — even as they exploit new OS virtues.
Preston Gralla’s Windows 8 Hacks: Tips & Tools for Unlocking the Power of Tablets and Desktops is for users who want to make Windows 8 work their way. Windows 8 is “eminently hackable,” says the book — which offers more than 100 ways to enhance security and hardware functions; speed up networking, browsing, and file synching; and generally improve other important computer services.
This month, all Windows Secrets subscribers can download an excerpt: Chapter 2, “Hacking the Start Screen, the Windows 8 Interface, and Apps,” and Chapter 3, “Hacking the Desktop.”
If you want to download this free excerpt, simply visit your preferences page and save any changes; a download link will appear.
Info on the printed book: United States
Making yourself at home with Windows 8
= Paid content
All Windows Secrets articles posted on 2013-03-28:
- Bonus Download Making yourself at home with Windows 8
- Top Story Some excellent RSS alternatives to Google Reader
- Lounge Life Software updates: For more than new tricks
- Wacky Web Week Dog and human entertained by machine
- Best Hardware More ways to ditch unsightly network cables
- LangaList Plus Safely, easily move partitions with these tools
- Patch Watch Microsoft/Google decisions zing Calendar users
- Show all articles on a single page