January – June
* Premium collection *
For many years, Windows Secrets’ paid subscribers have relied on Fred Langa’s extensive knowledge of Windows PCs to answer their sometimes simple, sometimes daunting, personal computing questions and problems. The weekly LangaList Plus columns contain a wealth of information for both novice and expert PC users.
Although Fred’s solutions typically apply to readers’ specific queries, the answers nearly always assist many other LangaList Plus readers as well.
Windows Secrets readers often tell us they archive Fred’s columns for current and future reference. So as a service to his loyal readers – and for those new to LangaList Plus – we’ve gathered the entire collection of 2014 columns into two ebooks.
This volume, The complete LangaList Plus: 2014, Part 1, includes all columns published from January through June, in chronological order. At the end of the ebook, you’ll find a table listing stories sorted by topic.
– The Windows Secrets editors
Table of Contents
- Jan. 9 – Clean out obsolete, space-consuming update files
- Jan. 16 – Fixes for network access and sharing issues
- Jan. 23 – Taming Chrome’s excessive drive activity
- Jan. 30 – How to correct failed updates and hotfixes
- Feb. 6 – Virtual PC helps diagnose driver issues
- Feb. 13 – Preventing unwanted mapped-drive disconnects
- Feb. 20 – Preserving Windows XP in a virtual PC
- Feb. 27 – Win8.1 drops Win7-style backup option
- March 6 – Using Win8′s File History with multiple drives
- March 13 – Controlling what Win8′s File History saves
- March 20 – Restore accidentally deleted admin privileges
- March 27 – What to do when a CAPTCHA verification fails
- April 3 – Is XP Mode — or any virtual XP PC — safe to use?
- April 10 – Diagnosing a computer’s power-state troubles
- April 17 – Is it worthwhile to upgrade an XP-era PC?
- April 24 – Obscure error halts rescue disk–creation process
- May 1 – Confusion about MS Security Essentials on XP
- May 8 – Curing unexplained Wi-Fi interruptions
- May 15 – How to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7
- May 22 – Strange ‘phantom folders’ on networked PCs
- June 5 – Readers disagree with Wi-Fi troubleshooting tips
- June 12 – The problem with BIOS-level passwords
- June 19 – More on better data/boot security for Windows
- June 26 – Preventing data theft from Windows system files