Image resizing using the Ribbon doesn't always work
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Office Professional Plus 2010 32-bit
I would generally consider myself to be quite proficient using Word … but this issue has me stumped. Maybe it’s a Word “feature.” :mad:
I am having ongoing issues on multiple different machines (work and home) with resizing images. The problems appear to be random … in that 1) sometimes resizing works and sometimes it doesn’t work and 2) in the same editing session images that resized “a minute ago” will not resize.
- Resize always works when the picture/image handles are used (drag and drop)
- Double clicking an image and using the ribbon or selecting the image and then Picture Tools tab/Size group in the ribbon, and then selecting a (say 4”) width or height works randomly.
- More often than not the image ignores the entered data and stays the same width.
- Neither manually typing (e.g., a width of 4”) or using the increment arrows works.
- Sometimes one entry (e.g., width will be accepted) and then both width and height are disabled.
- Pictures from the web and from my computer all exhibit this problem randomly
- If a picture will not resize using the Size group in the ribbon, right clicking the picture/image and selecting Size and Position and changing the picture/image size seems to reset Word so all images can be resized. Unfortunately, after a random period Word “resets” to the non-working variation and the right-click option has to be exercised again to “reset” Word.
I know other people on the web (and in person) are having this problem but no solution has been found for this “feature” - well at least I cannot find a solution.
This problem can be found in a newly created document or a new image inserted into an existing document … but as I indicated, it is random. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
The documents and pictures/images are not protected that I am aware of.
At least one person has indicated that reinstalling Word did not correct the issue … but I don’t think that anyone will be surprised at that.
Can anyone help with why the Picture Tools tab/Size group does not work consistently? Do we have a better (non-random) workaround for the problem?
OK ... try this file and see if you can duplicate the "feature"
There are two instructions in the file next to two graphics. Please follow the instructions as closely as possible (assuming that I wrote them correctly). If you "fix" the feature accidentally ... and want to continue testing ... reopen the orignal file. I will be interested to see if anyone else can duplicate the issue ...
Thanks in adavnce ...