Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial
Attached is a tutorial on how to use Word's mailmerge facility to create lists sorted by category.
Microsoft has similar articles at:
but my tutorial goes way beyond those articles' scope by:
a ) providing a sample data source that can be used to demonstrate/test the use of different keys,
b ) including working mailmerge fields
c ) adding examples to show how:
. text can be categorised using two keysPlus, unlike the field coding suggested by the MSKB articles, my approach doesn't insert extra lines for Excel data sources.
• text can be added after the repeated data
• group and sub-group counts and totals can be calculated without the need for such fields in the source data
• to create a two-column output
• to create a series of tables from the merged data
• to shade alternate rows when merging to a table
• to merge to email
Note 1: Please read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge main document for a mailmerge - the merge field coding you'll need is in the tutorial and has to be copied from there into the mailmerge main document before you can do a mailmerge.
Note 2: Any discussions should be made in a new thread - they cannot be added to this one.