Windows Easy Transfer questions
Since Microsoft is stopping their XP security updates, I guess I have no choice but to upgrade. My current desktop is XP Pro SP3 (32 bit), and I plan to get a new desktop with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). [I also currently have a Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) laptop.] My computers are on an Ethernet network, and the new one will be also.
I am attracted by Windows Easy Transfer, because it says it will transfer program settings, desktop icon configuration, etc. But my XP file structure is not the standard one (for example, all my photos and videos are in subfolders to an HMW Documents folder, rather than in My Picture and My Music as Windows intended). Also, I almost never install a program in the location that the program setup wants to put it. I have read every Microsoft article I can find on Easy Transfer, plus the excellent Windows Secrets articles and searched this forum, but none address my questions.
1. Will Easy Transfer find all my XP files even though I do not have a standard folder structure?
2. If the answer is yes, will it create my SAME folder structure on my Windows 7, or will it place them in the ‘standard’ Windows file structure?
3. If the above cause problems, can I just transfer the program and desktop settings, and not the files? (I can easily transfer all my files manually via my network.) And will Easy Transfer find these programs on my XP even though I did not place them in the default folder(s)?
4. Will Easy Transfer find ALL my programs, or just the popular ones (I have lots of utilities)?
5. From reading the Easy Transfer instructions, it was not clear to me whether my programs had to be installed on the new computer BEFORE I run Easy Transfer, or after?
Thanks for any help you can provide,