Recently Restored PC, Networking Speed Severely Affected
I recently restored a laptop, a custom SONY VPCF1390X, using the built-in recovery partition. Everything went about as well as I expected, but I noticed that download speeds were much lower than what I usually get. I've checked my network speed on the laptop and on other PCs I own and it seems to be the only one affected, what takes less than a minute to download on my desktop takes hours on this laptop, And there were no network problems before I restored it.
My first thought was to download the drivers, which is actually what I was trying to do when I noticed speed discrepancy. So I checked Sony's page and my drivers were up-to-date. I downloaded and installed them anyway, in hopes that it may fix it, but it did nothing.
Since then I've changed ISPs and went from 5mbps (which was closer to 3mbps) to 40-41mbps. But still had the same awful performance, it didn't even scale with the upgrade, stayed basically the same. It does seem to be sporadic, though very frequent, enough that the slow is the norm, with very small bursts of speed every once in a while.
I've even taken the computer to work and used the network there with no effect. My original idea was to restore this computer back to a fresh state so that I could use it in my job, but as a programmer, I often need to download large files and use the internet to research solutions, so I'm stuck with my previous laptop until I can fix this problem.
PS: Problem exists when connected either by cable or wireless.
Here is a post with the laptop's specifications: