Outlook cannot keep stable connection with Exchange Server
Windows 8.1 tablet
Office 2010 Standard with SP2
One user out of 100 has an issue where his Outlook will not keep a consistent connection with Exchange.
Before we changed his computer there was no issues. We swapped him to the new machine and the problem appeared.
There are no good log entries to go off of. The best error report I got was RPC over HTTP error port 6001 1818.
I have yet to find a post where someone is troubleshoot the client and not the server.
My solution right now is buying another machine, configure for the person, send it and have him send the old unit back to get formatted and loaded from scratch.
I've removed the firewall and virus protection with same results.
Keep in mind I have 5 other similar configured units that are working without issue. All have the same software loaded.
Curious if anyone might have an intelligent reason to what might be causing this.