Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ril

Security - Determine URL of hyperlinks in Outlook?

When reading an email in it's own window, is it possible to bring up some sort of status bar (like in IE) to indicate WHAT URL a hyperlink within the email will be jumping to?

When I receive an HTML email, and it contains hyperlinks, I can't find anyway (except viewing the HTML code, and searching in it - which is a pain) to see exactly where I will go (to what URL) when I click on a hyperlink.

Is there any way to simply do this, or is this yet another example of MS's lack of security in their products?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security - Determine URL of hyperlinks in Outlook?

If you view the email in the preview pane, rather than opening it, and pause the mouse over the link, you'll see the URL in the Outlook status bar. Is that what you're looking for? Once the message is open, it has the focus, so you no longer see the link--no status bar on a message.
    Charlotte

ril

> Is that what you're looking for?

Exactly! Except I want it available in the window where I open the message. If I could add that same status bar to the message's window, that would be perfect. Anyone know how? Or some way to right-click on it to get the URL would be great.

I don't like to use the preview pane due to the inherent security and privacy problems with it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Isn't that a little inconsistent? You want to open the message instead of viewing it the preview pane because of security issues?
    Charlotte

ril

By opening each message individually you can determine which messages are loaded (and thus which messages' HTML code is parsed).

When the preview pane is enabled, the contents top message in the list is always displayed when you receive new mail. Furthermore, it makes it difficult to delete an email without proccessing it's HTML code.

BTW, I've been working on a tool that displays all the connections made by HTML email (as well as email that looks like text email, but has a few lines of hidden HTML in it). You would be shocked to see all the connections your email is making to the outside world!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I haven't been shocked by anything in 40 years, but I'll take your word for it.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using Outlook 2000, the preview pane is more secure than opening messages (unless you tightened you security settings). Active content can't run.

ril

I have all security settings set to "Disable", so having the choice of whether or not to open the message is more secure.

BTW, are you sure Active content can't run in preview? I thought it could. I know HTML gets parsed in preview.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, in Ol2000, active content is not run in preview. Russ Cooper at NTBugtrack has an article on it. A link to the article is at slipstick.com - as is more information about outlook security.

ril

Really?! [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

That's news to me! I'll have to take a look at the articles. Since I believe the HTML parsing engine is the same engine that calls the ActiveX controls, it's surprising to hear what you say.

Do you have a URL to the article?

I tried www.ntbugtrack.com and www.ntbugtrak.com but got 404's.

I would still love a way to see the URL address of links from within emails when the email is open in it's own window. Anyone?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

helps if ntbugtraq is spelled right - sorry
    http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/default.asp?...1&pid=47&aid=56

for the low down on security in outlook:
    http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/antivirus.htm

ril

Thanks for the great links!

New Lounger
    Thanks

You can run ActiveX in the preview pane, if your IE security settings are set right.

I work for a company that sends out Flash based email messages (to expecting recipients!) which relies on ActiveX on the PC platform, and they run on Outlook 2000, XP and OE5+ IF you have your settings right, sometimes it might prompt one way or another, but they certainly DO run in the preview pane.

Thanks

I think you mean "if your IE security settings are set wrong." Good grief, there's no limiting ActiveX to Flash content in the security settings. I regret to say that if you are training your customers to lower their Outlook security just to accommodate a greeting card, or whatever, you are setting them up to have their systems completely destroyed by malware. This is not a good trade-off and I would strongly discourage users from using anything less than the strictest settings for Outlook. Sorry if this conflicts with your company's business plan.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We aren't training anyone to do anything. We are aware of all the security issues involved with the ActiveX component, and educate our users about the security implications of what they might use our tool to do.

As they say, horses for courses, and our tool provides as many horses as possible so that depending on the course they find on arrival, at least one of them will run. It all comes down the awareness of what it is 'possible' to do. We do not offer any guarantees. I personally think that Outlook should have the ability to have different security settings than IE. One of the solutions we offer is that if the ActiveX component does not run in your inbox you can click the link to launch it in your browser, but if you have disabled ActiveX completely you will not see it in your browser either. Fine if you do not want to experience the new stuff that Flash can give you, but what if you just don't want it in your inbox, and want to restrict it to your browser?

No damage to our business plan, already thought about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast