4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle bin error message (XP Pro 2002 (SP 2))

I am having a problem that started after installing software called Uniblue Power Suite (which did some 'registry' cleaning...).....when I move stuff to the recycle bin, it seem to go in but when I open the recycle bin, nothing is listed in it, although the full icon is there. When I try to empty it, I get the message "ERROR DELETING FILE OR FOLDER. Cannot delete dc14. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and thatg the file is not currently in use".

In another online group, I saw the following suggestion as a 'fix-it' (but I think the person was using Windows ME)....the suggestion was this :
    "The troublesome file is a delete protected file created by an encryption program. Delete it by going into DOS and renaming the file extension. Now the recycle bin seems to be working fine again."......I am not sure that I want to try this (partly b/c I don't know how to how to go to DOS, find the troublesome file & rename the file extension).

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem? Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Recycle bin error message (XP Pro 2002 (SP 2))

Can you do a system restore to a time before installing the Uniblue software?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I probably can...I thought of that, but the Uniblue made some registry changes...It made a back up of the registry and I suppose I could restore the registry, but restoring the registry and doing a system restore effectively means that I may as well uninstall Uniblue as well......if I do a succesful system restore, the first time I run Uniblue, it will tell me that there are registry problems to be corrected....I was hoping that I could fix this error message and that the Recycle Bin would work properly.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You've discovered one reason that a number of users don't employ that sort of software. Or they severly limit what it does. On my XP & Vista systems at home and the XP, Win2000, & Win2003 systems at work that I'm repsonsible for I will not even run any tool like this anymore. There is little to be gained and much pain in the rear to be had when something goes amiss. When issues arise I solve them or at least attempt to explain them individually.

to try to get your Recycle Bin working see line 64 Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP at Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe....what do I do with the info at the link you sent me to....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Locate the line numbered 64. Click on the link on the right hand side (i.e. on Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin).
    If you get prompted to run or save the file, choose Save. Select a convenient location and click Save.
    Navigate to the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Double click the file and confirm that you want to run it.