New Lounger
    Thanks

Same font displays differently (2003)

I downloaded the font Helvetica Neue CE 35 Thin the other day from a reputable font site. It works exactly as expected in Word, but displays 'fatter' than it should in Powerpoint.

The attached file shows two screen shots of the problem. It might not look significant, but for the intended Powerpoint use it really is an issue.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be and what I can do to restore its correct size? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Same font displays differently (2003)

The two examples seem to me to have very similar stoke weights but a different 'colour'. Are you sure that in Word they are not some percentage grey like 80%? See the attached PDF. Perhaps try changing the text 'colour' in Powerpoint?

Alternatively, it may be that your Helvetica font is being substituted by a 'similar' one by Powerpoint.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

I have to admit, the examples that I copied into the PDF attachment don't really do justice to just how different the font appears in Powerpoint. Just to be sure, I checked font colour etc as you suggested, but all is as it should be, so unfortunately I don't think that's the problem. Powerpoint lists the correct font too, so unless it's doing something very sly, I don't think it's substituting another one.

What is (sort of) interesting, is that when I highlight the offending text on the PP slide and toggle the BOLD button, nothing happens; it's almost as though PP is displaying the font as permanently bold, whilst in Word it changes from normal to bold as you would expect.

As I say, the difference may not seem much, but the whole point here was to use a font with a 'slim' stroke weight specifically for the 'light and sophisticated' look that I need.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps (just perhaps) points 2 and 3 here might assist? I would check all Quick Brown Fox characters in a large point size by puitting the Word under the Powerpoint, to see whether what you are getting in Powerpoint is really your Helvetica and not a sneaky MS substitution.

Later: I tried using Arial Narrow in Powerpoint, and, yes, it emboldens it...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

No luck there, either, I'm sorry to say. But thank you for the trouble you went to in pointing me to the webpage. I tried both ways and the effect is still 'bold' with each one.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suppose it's an outside chance, but have you tried going back to the font-manufacturer's Technical Support-ers, and asking if they know of a problem with Powerpoint?

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, yet again, John. A quick phone call to Monotype established that I'd downloaded the CE or 'Central European characters' version from fonts.com. I've now downloaded the 'normal' LT or 'light' version, and once installed, it works fine. So PP was substituting something else as you first suggested, it just wasn't very obvious, but now we know.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent! Glad it's sussed!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Central European characters are known for obesity...