Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Changing 98OS to XP pro OS

I have a PC with 98se OS and would like to replace the OS with XP pro. Not up grade. I have installed upgrade advisor and can't make heads or tails from the results. What info is needed to know if I can make such a change of OS. Can some one advise me as to what I need to do to make this change.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing 98OS to XP pro OS

The hardware requirements for Windows XP are considerably higher than for Windows 98. The official word is in Windows XP Professional System Requirements, but I and many others consider that to be much too low. More realistic requirements are:
    Processor: 600 MHz Pentium III or better, preferably 1 GHz or more.
    RAM Memory: 512 MB or more, 1 GB if you're into high-end gaming and/or heavy graphics processing (editing video for example).
    Hard Disk: 50 GB or more.
    Monitor and video card: 1024 x 768 pixels, 32 bit color (i.e. millions of colors), 64 MB video memory or more (especially if you're into gaming and/or graphics processing)

Thanks

Thank you Hans for your reply. I checked my hardware according to the Windows XP Pro System req. and I am almost sure my PC ca handle it. I have 512 ram, a ADI monitor that is 1600 x 1200, a CPU of 1.1MHz. The AD11 mother board can handle 1GB. and one of my western digital HD's are 80 GB's each. Now where can I get an inexpensive Oem XP Pro OS?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OEM versions of Windows are meant to be sold in combination with hardware. An OEM version of Windows offered for sale by itself is likely to be illegal.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

At Price Watch, I see Win XP Media Center Edition for "only" $30 bucks. This Dell I'm using came with MCE installed and I truthfully can't tell it from my machine upstairs that run the Pro.

Pricewatch | Find and Buy all types of Software - Oper System - cheap prices

Thanks

Thank you Bigaldoc for your reply. I went tthe link you gave me and was very confused by what I found. This is what I found that I think is what I am looking for, but which one should I use. I don't want to up grade, so it has to be one of the three below. What puzzles me is which one do I need.
    windows xp pro x64
    windows xp pro
    windows xp pro 64
    Paul
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The x64 and 64 versions are for 64-bit CPUs (processors); I don't think you have such a CPU, so these two aren't suitable. For a standard (32-bit) CPU, you need "Windows XP Pro".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to Hans for answering the 64-bit question. I'm also embarrassed to say that, having not used Price Watch for a long time, I'm disappointed that the page I linked you to is quite deceiving. When I went one level further down, it turns out that we have to be careful of what they're showing on the upper pages. Some of the results, when you go down a level, are for OEM versions that require a hardware purchase. The MCE entry I was taken with is really for a "remote control" unit to operate WITH MCE, not the OS itself. Keep looking, but as Hans said, you sure don't need 64-bit.

I do stand by my comment that XP Pro and XP MCE are both acceptable OSs, so whichever you find the best price for is what I'd go with.

Thanks

Thanks Hans and Bigaldoc for your reply. Sorry I haven
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ouch! I hope you'll recover soon!

Windows XP Home should be fine unless you really need features that are present in the Pro version but not in Home, such as User-level security, IIS/Personal Web Server and multi-processor support.

You may not need to keep Windows 98. Many programs that will not run directly under Windows XP can be made to do so by setting the Compatibility options to make it run in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

If you do need Windows 98, you should be able to set up a dual boot configuration, one boot partition with Windows 98 and one with Windows XP. See for example How to set-up a dual boot system.

I cannot help you with your neighbor's problem, sorry.

Thanks

Thanks Hans for your reply. Am healing. Only hurts when I think of what the insurance company pays for a 18 year old Doge Van. Will help my neighbor find Witch Doctor, etc.
    Catz

Thanks

Hi Hans. I went to that link you gave me and it seemed very confusing. I am enclosing a Belarc Advisor list of every thing on this PC. Will it all work if I just use both HD's with XP Home. Also does all my info on the HD that I have in my PC need to be saved before I try to install XP? Will the CD erase all info or will it just replace the OS?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your PC is well up to running Windows XP.

Even if you install Windows XP as an upgrade to Window 98, it is a good idea to backup all important data. Although an upgrade installation should leave all data intact, there is always the possibility that things go wrong.
    I would prefer to backup the data, then format the hard disks and do a clean install, so that you don't take all the ballast that has built up over the years with you. But that's just my personal preference.

I don't know all the software you have, so I cannot judge which programs will run and which won't, but the majority looks OK.

Thanks

Thank you Hans for your reply. I successfully installed the full version of XP home on the new HD and it is working very well. I like this XP very much. I should have done this a long time ago. Guess I am getting to the point of rebelling against change.
    Well now I have one HD with XP Home on it and another HD with Win98Se on it. Only one HD is hooked up and running. The XP home. What would happen if I hooked up the XP Home HD as the master and the Win98Se as the slave? Would this be good for my PC? Which one would boot up my PC and would I be able to jump back and forth between both HD's? Just a though. I trust your opinion so I will not do anything until I hear from you.
    I am going to go and watch our towns fire works display in 15 min. We celebrate our country
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not an expert in this kind of thing, I hope someone else will be able to help you with this. I don'tt think it'll hurt to try it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast