5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Cases (Word 2003)

Hi all,

I have a document that cites many cases. I would like to create a table of cases (TOC). However, in the TOC, I want more to show up than the case name and page number. I want the full citation, even though this shows up no where in the text itself. Is this possible to create?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Cases (Word 2003)

You can specify the text to be displayed in the TC fields. Please look up the help for the TC and TOC fields in Word itself. I particular, look at the available field switches for these fields. This help is also available on the Microsoft website:
    Field codes: TC (Table of Contents Entry) field
    Field codes: TOC (Table of Contents) field

Don't forget to expand the Switches sections.

Thanks

Also check the fields and related help for Tables of Authorities (TOA??), as those might be more relevant for your application than Word's TOC field (which in Word means Table of Contents). Not sure this distinction applies outside of the U.S.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi JMT,

As Jefferson suggested, the TOA might be more appropriate.

One way to go about creating your entries is as follows:
    - you usually type the case name first with full identification - eg, "Smith v Doe, date, reference" - and select it
    - with the item selected, you need to tell Word that this is a TOA entry; easiest way to do this is via alt+shift+i to get the dialog box
    - you will see your selected text in the top box
    - there is also a long citation box and a short citation box. You can type anything you want in these, although that defeats the purpose of a TOA in some ways
    - if you want, you can work with the associated TA field which has a l switch (associated with the long citation) and a s switch (associated with the short citation). Whatever is associated the l switch is what is put into the TOA when it's generated. My TOA has a l value identical, most of the time, with what I typed/selected. There is one instance where I manually change the l switch (or what's in the long citation box) to get what I want in the TOA.

HTH

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this worked. I inserted a Table of Authorities with the citations as hidden text so that they show up in the TOA but not in the main text.

Thanks all!