3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding a Third Internal Hard Drive

My Dell Dimension (3.0GHz, 2 Gb RAM) came with a single internal hard drive along with both DVD and CD RW drives. I've since added an external HD for critical backups and an internal HD. The original internal HD was a 200Gb Seagate which is still installed. I've added a Maxtor 160 Gb and partitioned it into 4 devices. I have yet another internal HD (WD, 200Gb) that I've installed but the system does not recognize it (doesn't show up in MyComputer). These are all serial ATA drives. Their power comes from daisy-chained SATA power cables. My hard drives are C(Seagate), F, G, H, and I (Maxtor) with D and E being the DVD and CD drives. I also show J, K. L, M, and N as removable disk drives due to using various thumb drives. The case is an aftermarket case with 5 additional fans which I had to install to provide sufficient cooling when I added the second hard drive. The power supply is the original Dell 305 watt supply that I transferred to the new case.

At present, I'm using a Microroft ergonomic keyboard cable-attached to the PS2 port and a Logitech wireless mouse with its signaller installed in one of the front USB ports. I connect to my ISP via a Netgear wireless router - which is cable-attached to this unit with wireless used by another household system - and a Motorola cable modem. I also have a UPS data cable, a scanner, and a printer/scanner attached with USB cables using the ports on the back of the unit. The second USB port on the front of the case contains a port multiplier that I use to connect cameras, thumb drives, et al, as needed. The OS is Win/XP Pro SP-2 which has been updated using the automatic upgrade feature. After installing the third HD, I rebooted and discovered that the drive is not recognized. I checked using Device Manager via the Control Panel. Although I've triple-checked the data and power connections, I cannot be certain that the HD is actually powered and spinning.

Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this situation and make the third internal HD functional?

Please let me know if I've failed to supply sufficient information. All help will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding a Third Internal Hard Drive

Which Dell Dimension model, so I can look at the motherboard? Have you checked the BIOS to see if ALL drive connectors are turned on?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Big Al!

Thanks for the response.

My system is a Dimension 4700 P3000. The MB is 'as delivered'.

How do I check the BIOS to see if the drive connectors are turned on? I should know how to do this, but senility has apparently set in and I can't remember how to check it. IIRC there is a key or key combination that I strike during boot up, but I don't recall what it is nor does a hint show on the screen. The only things I see there are F2 to enter Setup and F12 to enter the Menu System.

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

F2 is it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al!

I checked my BIOS settings. It appears that I have only 4 ATA drives, 2 serial and 2 parallel. Guess I can't add the third drive, unless there is a card that I can add to expand the system. Or is it possible that only 4 are activated and that there is a fifth drive capability hiding somewhere?

Thanks again for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid that's what I thought. My Dell also is capable of 2 SATA and 2 IDE drives. Personally, I'd opt for the largest four drives I could and then rely on external USB drives. I haven't looked for IDE adapter cards for a long time, so I don't know what's available. You might also find this thread interesting reading: <post:=611,127>post 611,127</post:>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Only 2 master/slave combos

I've added hard drives too often to recall (and nearly every one gave me some problem or other). It seems to me you're limited to a maximum of four internal drives. If you could ditch the CD or DVD drive (combos are cheap now), you'd have room for the third hard drive.

If worse comes to worse, pull out the 160g drive and drop it in an external drive case, then install the new hard drive in its place.