Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVI Quality poor in Slideshow (PPT97)

I have used Camtasia to record a system demonstration and I want to include the AVI file in a PowerPoint slide-show. The slide-show will be running unattended at an in-house expo.

Everything looks fine at home where I recorded the AVI [Windows ME]. When I load the movie into PowerPoint 97 at work [Windows NT] the quality of the display is awful. It looks fine when it loads but when it starts to play it seems to move the display a pixel and loses quality so that parts of the screen displayed are unreadable. If I play the AVI in Media Player it looks fine so I figure this is a PowerPoint problem.

Any suggestions for what is wrong? I have tried the settings for the AVI [nil] and am playing with

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AVI Quality poor in Slideshow (PPT97)

Here is an example of what I am seeing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is an example of what I should be seeing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

The best I can offer you is a link to this knowledge base article. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/9/82.ASP>PPT97: Inserted Movies Appear Grainy When Played(Q182982)</A>

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Catherine. It isn't quite my problem because it talks about the problem being present in "slide view" and being OK when played. The only "zoom" settings I see are the display properties for the slide display and that doesn't change anything except how you view the slide when you are editing it.

I have the people who will be presenting, experimenting with screen resloutions to see if this removes the problem. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks

I've never recorded an .avi - but can you control the picture density? Like .dpi when scanning an image. Or can you control the image size of the output?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think I can. This is the first time I've tried it too. I don't believe the problem is with the video itself. If I play the movie or the slideshow at home it's fine. This is on a system with Windows ME and Office 2000. At work I am stuck with Windows NT4 and Office 97. The movie plays fine on NT as a stand alone application. It's only when PowerPoint plays it in the slideshow that the quality deteriorates. I've asked the people conducting the show to set the screen size and colour density to match my settings at home and see if that resolves the problem. I can't replicate that in my NT system cause the machine is 3 years old and won't run the display that way. Thats my last thought to fix it. Our alternative is to play the movie as a separate application on a separate machine. This plays fine regardless of the machine settings. I am also faced with the tyranny of distance as I am in Brisbane and the show will be in Sydney - 600 miles away.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've not tried this, but could you hyperlink to Realplayer or Quicktime, let it play the movie with PPoint still running in the background?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I actually considered that. I have a copy of the movie in the standard Camtasia Player which is an executable and runs full screen. The problem though is that the PowerPoint show will be running basically unattended in a continuous loop. I looked at how I could branch and run the movie but I ended up thinking there was too much involved even trying to get it to work.

At the moment the movie will be running in one screen separately to the PowerPoint presentation. We will run the presentation in another screen by itself. This resolves the quality issue at least.

Thanks for your help here guys.