New Lounger
    Thanks

Force Users to save Outlook attachments (2003)

Hello. Does anyone know how to force users to save Outlook (2003) attachments?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Force Users to save Outlook attachments (2003)

No, there do not seem to be server policy settings requiring it, and for business record maintenance reasons it's not necessarily a good idea; Woody even argues against it.

On the other hand I'm a devotee of removing attachments, because of their impact on mail server space and Personal Storage File size.

If your concern is about Exchange Server mailbox space, teach your users to create Personal Storage Files. If that's not the issue, can you explain more?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Can you explain the scenario in a little more detail? For example, are users editing .doc and .xls files in the Outlook cache and forgetting to save them to a more permanent folder? If that's the problem, you could "hijack" the Save command in your applications (using a global template or add-in) to detect and remedy that problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, exactly - users are editing the .doc and .xls files in Outlook cache and forgetting to save them in a permanent folders, which is causing chaos. "Hijack" the Save command, remove it completely out of the form in Outlook? Can you recommend an add-in?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, I'll try that. Unfortunately, my users are not saving the changes properly and they

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK. You would need to:

1. write code intercepting the use of the Outlook Temporary Storage Folder for each of your major applications, redirecting the Save location, or

2. pop a reminder to save the attachment, or even a Save Attachment dialog, for each message which has an attachment, in Outlook, which would be somewhat of an annoyance to users. You could do that with the Item_Add event, or the Item_Open event; for more information look for Item_Add Event and Item_Open events in this Forum and http://www.Outlookcode.com

3. or you could code an autosave macro which saves all attachments to the same location without asking the user. But users would have to know where to find their files.

BTW, so long as they Save the attachment AND re-save the message (or other Outlook item), the attachment changes should be saved within the Outlook Item. I do that quite a lot, and rarely get burned (but, yes, once in a while I'll forget that I have changed an attachment and when I close the message I abandon the changes, and once in a while I confuse the saved-to-file version and the message version and edit the wrong one).
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't think of this initially, because I don't have experience with it - there is also an Item_Change Event

You could test to see if modifiying an attachment in an Outlook Item triggers that event (I suspect it does) and if so, then code the event to automagically re-save any message where the event triggers, without asking the user. It may be a less intrusive solution, and provides users more flexibility. I'll be happy to work with you if you are interested in that approach, as I may install it myself (but I first have to attend to a work project for the next few business days).
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it doesn't look good - on a brief test, it appears that the Change Event doesn't trigger until the user selects "Yes" to the prompt about the item having been changed - which is the problem!

In the "ThisOutlookSession" module (Outlook must be restarted to hook objInbox):

Option Explicit

Dim WithEvents objInbox As Outlook.Items

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    Set objInbox = Outlook.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).It ems
    End Sub

Private Sub objInbox_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object)
    With Item
    If CBool(.Attachments.Count) Then
    Debug.Print .Subject & " changed"
    .Save
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

I'll poke a stick at this some more; anyone else have experience with this event?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

I meant to hijack the Save command in Word and in Excel. You can find examples on those boards and on the VB/VBA board. The idea would be to look for "Temporary Internet Files" in the path name and, if found, switch to Save As rather than Save.