2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word count in a table (2003)

hello all

I have a questionnaire that has to be answered which is set up in tables. Some of the questions have a word count limitation and I want to show the word count of the cell at the bottom of the answer. I am sure I have done this in the past using fields, but for the life of me cannot remember how. Can anyone shed some light?

Many thanks

Susan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word count in a table (2003)

If you're using form fields from the Forms toolbar, you can use an Exit macro to fill another form field with the word count. See the attached sample document.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The document I have to use is not set up as a form field and we are not supposed to alter the document. It is just set up as a table in a normal document. Is there anyway to set this up with the exit macro as you have done but without making the document a form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of an easy way. There is a NUMWORDS field but it displays the number of words in the entire document; there is no way to limit it to the number of words in a table cell.

However, people can use the Word Count toolbar to count the number of words:
    - Select View | Toolbars | Word Count.
    - Select the contents of a cell.
    - Click Recount.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bummer. As each answer is within a table cell I was trying to write a macro using selection.cell and totalWords = selection.words.count but I can't make that work either! I am already aware of the toolbar and can manually do each cell that way, but the document is large and I was trying to make it so that others altering it didn't have to worry about messing up the word count.

Thanks for your efforts anyway. Much appreciated.