Lounger
    Thanks

footnotes (2003)

Is there way to creat footnotes in Excel. I don't mean the footer though. I need to attach a number at the end of the sentence (a small number like a mathematical power)? I tried to insert symbol numbers but they look the same as regular numbers.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: footnotes (2003)

Type the number at the end of the sentence. Then in the edit box select the number. Select Cell from the Format menu. In the resulting dialog box click on the font tab and put a tic mark next to Superscript in the Effects section. Click on OK. Does this give you what you want?
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel doesn't have a footnote mechanism such as Word has. You can add a superscripted number to the text in a cell:
    - Edit the cell contents by clicking in the formula bar, by double clicking the cell or by pressing F2.
    - Type the number at the end.
    - Select the number.
    - Select Format | Cell Properties...
    - Tick the check box labeled 'Superscript'.
    - Click OK. Superscript will be applied to the selected text (the number) only.
    - Confirm the change by pressing Enter or by clicking the green check mark button in the formula bar.

Notes:
    1) You can only apply superscript if the cell contains a constant, not if it contains a formula.
    2) You will have to update the numbers manually.
    3) If you want some kind of footnote text at the bottom of the page, you'll have to keep track of its placement yourself.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yup! That is it! Thanks!