Lounger
    Thanks

Updating versions of commercial software (2003)

My office uses a commercial database which uses Access. Over the last 4 years, we have made many tweaks and changes to the design of this database to better suit our needs. I keep this list of changes on an Excel spreadsheet. The bad part is, each time this company comes up with a new version of this software, I have to go in and make 3 years worth of changes again. This takes a lot of time. My boss is very much for using this company's software and not developing our own because of their technical support. Is there any way to save the changes I've made as sort of an "image" that I could just paste into the new version without somehow affecting the changes the company has made to improve the new version.

Hope this makes sense.

Jodi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating versions of commercial software (2003)

It very much depends on the nature of the tweaks and of the changes applied by the company, but in general it won't be easy.
    Your best bet might be to write VBA code that applies the tweaks instead of applying them manually. That way you can run the code again when needed. But if the company changes the design of a database object drastically, the code might not work any more.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating versions of commercial software (2003)

I'm assuming you've made changes to forms, queries, and reports, not just developed some new additional ones?

In which case the answer is: No there isn't.

You might try telling the developer what all your changes are. He may incorporate at least some of them into the release version, this would eliminate you having to redo everything each time. There is also an outside chance (probably slim) that he might maintain a separate version of the database for you, perhaps for an increased maintenance fee. This would be offset by the time you spend redoing all your changes each time.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.