Lounger
    Thanks

Access and Outlook (2003 Professional)

I have a client that is wanting to create a newsletter for their organization and grab all the e-mail addresses in their Access database to use as addresses for the newsletter. The client does not want the addresses to be available to the other members so I am assuming a Bcc would be the only way to achieve this level of privacy. Another potential problem is the size of the list. There are a minimum of 200 members. We do not want the newsletter to be seen as spam so I believe I will also need to find a way to split the addresses into groups of no more than 50 addresses. Is there a way to have Access 2003 select all the e-mail addresses in the database and split the list into groups of no more than 50, assign a name to each of the groups that can be used as a distribution list name in Outlook, and then have Outlook import the newly created distribution lists as Bcc addresses for the newsletter e-mail? Thank you for your consideration.

Trena

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access and Outlook (2003 Professional)

Creating distribution lists in Outlook automatically would require Automation - controlling Outlook from Access using VBA; this is not trivial.

An alternative would be to create some queries that select a number of e-mail addresses, and use these as data source for a mail merge to e-mail in Word. That way, you don't have to write any code, and each person gets an individual e-mal, so there is no need to use Bcc.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Once again,thank you for being so prompt in replying to my post. I know how to create the queries and generate the lists in Access, but I have never done a mail merge to e-mail in Word. I will play around with it this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Trena

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you for the help. The Word E-mail merge will do the trick. My only problem now is when Word reformats the document as an e-mail message, all the pictures and text boxes in the document are moved to new locations. None of the text boxes are with the correct picture and none of the pictures are in the correct spot. I posted this problem on the general Office Suite forum and asked if there is a way to lock the graphics and text boxes in place. Thanks again for your help. Your great.

Trena

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This question has now been posted three times. Please don't do that.

This thread has been locked to prevent further duplication and confusion. Please post all replies in the thread starting at <post#=658209>post 658209</post#>.