5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair with Upgrade CD? (Home)

I have a friend whose Gateway PC has developed a keyboard problem, and nothing I've tried has been able to get the keyboard working (or another one I tried, either). I'm thinking about a Repair Install of XP Home. He doesn't have an XP CD. I have an Upgrade version of XP Home CD. Can I use it, with HIS Product Key, to make a Repair Install on his PC?

Thanks

Re: Repair with Upgrade CD? (Home)

John,
    You are here too.
    You have a duplicate type of question going in the Hardware Forum. <post#=657,029>post 657,029</post#>

But to answer this question about a Repair Install with your CD and His key, I don't think so.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wow John, you've got a tough one on your hands and I don't know the answer. I've been following along with you and Viking in the other thread. I wouldn't think that YOUR Windows CD, regardless of type, would work on a repair of a Gateway branded machine, but I guess failing all else you could give it a try. Seems strange that you can't get some guidance and direction from Gateway on this one. Don't they (like Dell) put a recovery procedure in a "hidden" partition on the drive? Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you except to bite your lip and give it a try. This does sound like a possible motherboard problem to me, but I've no evidence to support that guesstimate...

Lounger
    Thanks

Could this be a 'FilterKeys' problem.

To test, load Notepad and hold down a key for 5-10 seconds. If character appears, this could be the problem.

To solve, got to Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Keyboard tab and un-check 'Use FilterKeys'. Click 'Apply'.

Worked for me!!