Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

More Zone Alarm 7-Something

Re thread: <post:=655,506>post 655,506</post:> which I wasn't sure if I should continue in light of what I'm about to report.

Given the concern of whether ZA version 7.1 is 'only' applicable to Vista or not, I've been keeping an eye on the site for the past several days. This morning when I visited, as usual I started with the front page and clicked my way down to Home Office, Zone Alarm and the free product which has a spot as you see in the attachment. When I clicked on the free download link and then bypassed the "Suite" choice, I got an opportunity to download (hopefully) the free product.

All this time, I'm waiting to see what VERSION NUMBER it tells me I'm getting, which it did not! So, I made the download and ran it. Upon execution the program, which by the way is a very small file of only 200KB, wanted to install but STILL did not tell me what version number. However, there was an alternate choice for "download only" which I accepted.

THAT file is a whopping 40,600 KB in size (more like I would have expected!) and when downloaded, its properties tells me it's version 7.0.362.000, not the 7.1 previously reported as compatible with Vista. Since my current version is 7.0.337.000 I figure this latest looks like a more recent issue, but I'm still nervous!

Given the attached graphic, I think I went through the correct steps, but I'm looking for Lounger confirmation. Anyone else?

Thanks

Re: More Zone Alarm 7-Something

Al,
    At first I tried to check for an update from within ZA and it said my version 7.0.337.000 was up to date. Then
    I followed your steps as described and experienced the same procedures.
    After installation, I have version 7.0.362.000 installed.

All seems to be running fine.
    Sometimes I wonder what some of these updates really are?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for jumping in, Bob. Like most of us 'vikings' (adventurers) I too did the install of what I downloaded, quite successfully and am now running the 7.0.362.000 version. I don't understand what Zone Labs is doing with their downloads, but here's the followup I did, for what it's worth to VISTA users. I went back to the ZA home page and clicked on the link for VISTA (see attachment). This link also produced a download of that 200 KB stub file, but in this case there was a radio button to check whether you wanted the Vista or XP version. So, I repeated the process twice, once for XP and once for Vista and selected download (rather than install) each time.

The two downloaded files I got were a Vista installer at 17,986 KB which says it's version 7.1.68.0 and an XP file which is 40,600 KB and version 7.0.362.0

I don't know what's going on with ZA, but Loungers can beware and ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I just downloaded the Vista version again using the 200kb stub file and it gave me version 7.1.78.0 (17.5MB file) which is the same as the version I already have installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While Tony in his post <post#=655728>post 655728</post#> gives the correct locations for the XP_only (latest 70.337) and Vista_only (latest 71.078), you can get there and make your selection also as follows (sorry for me not incorporating the "snaps", I am working on someone else's computer):

Go to http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp
    click "Get Zone Alarm for Vista"
    select "Download free firewall", which downloads a small about 200kb file zaSetup.exe which is really an installation downloader.

Once you execute that file, you get the choice between downloading and/or installing the XP (70.337, about 41 Mb) or Vista ((71.078, about 18 Mb) version

Hope it's clear,

Teunis

Thanks

Well, true to their word, I received the e-mail from ZA alerting me to the fact that because I am a licensed user of ZASS I can now download the new version for free that is compatible with both XP and Vista. I think I will still wait for an auto update on the other computers.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)