5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cursor (Word 2003)

Hi all,

Does anybody know why my cursor and highlighting disappears? It has been happening these last two days, and I have been working wiht some large documents (150 pages), but I have worked with 500 page documents in the past with biggers programs running in the background and my cursor has not disappeared, so I don't think it is a memory problem.

Sometimes, I have to wait for it to show up; other times, it doesn't show up. The main problems is that when I highlight text, I can't see what I've highlighted. Furthermore, I can't see where the cursor is.

Did this ever happen to you?

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cursor (Word 2003)

Do you have the "AutoSave" (now called 'Background saves') turned on?
    In older versions, this would STOP all actions while the file was being saved.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Is that what you really mean to say, Dave? Isn't autosave (i.e. saving a backup of the file every X minutes) what you get if you check the box in Word 2003 options for Save AutoRecover info every X minutes. Background save is a different thing, always called that as far as I can recall. Word help describes it as "Saves documents in the background while you work. A pulsing disk icon appears in the status bar when Word performs a background save." In my experience it can slow stuff up in newer versions too.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Background save" will over write the original file and a "Back up" will be created when a file is first opened. A "fast save" will only save the changes since the last fast save and/or full save and a Autorecover save is used only with the "File recover" routine.

Thanks

That's how I understood it too, but it was the meaning of "Autosave" in your first post that I wasn't sure about.

I think we agree!

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi all,

I don't think I have this feature installed on my version (Word 2003). In fact, I tried posting a few months ago asking how to activate autosave and was told that Word abolished it and now all we have is auto-recover, which is activated and which I use frequently since Word crashes every few weeks.

Anyway, I don't think that's the problem because even when the cursor disappears, I can continue working (adding, deleting text, etc.). It's just that I have to predict where the text will show up since the cursor effectively disappears.

Regards,

JMT

Thanks

Have you tried Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to Behavioural Problems in Word in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>?

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is this on a laptop with a touch pad?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil's post is about 3 light years ahead of where I am with my computer skills. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to follow half his advice.

This is on a laptop. My suspicion is that I just had too much running or the 150 page document was too long or something similar . . .

Thanks all,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If this laptop has a "Touch Pad" for the mouse movement, then it is a known error that one can and has dragged their thumb across the pad and moved the cursor. Sometimes depending on where the cursor went, will give one the impression that the system is not responding.