Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

First PDF attachment spam

Just for anyone's interest - we have just started receiving our first spam emails with PDF attachments. Previously we used to allow PDFs straight through. But no longer...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: First PDF attachment spam

Is there no clue within the body or header of the emails, or are they blank?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The PDFs contain graphics images wherein the Buy Medications, etc, spam is located. Otherwise there is nothing obvious (other than unlikely-to-be-proper email addresses) to distinguish them.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ha, I didn't think anything about it until I saw your post...but I got one the other day.

the Pdf file was named just "message-4745.pdf."
    LIke you when I get a pdf, I (in the past) I assumed it was legit....

This was spam for some type of stock thingy

Now what to do???? Can pdf's contain viruses and the like?
    Michael

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The first PDF 'virus' appeared in 2001, and was called Peachy. However, it only spread using the full version of Adobe Acrobat - not the Adobe Reader that almost everyone uses. I haven't heard of anything since...

The general view (as far as I can find) is that PDF files themselves are virtually immune from viruses; the only problem might be a problem (yet to be) discovered with Adobe Reader (such as the traditional buffer overflow problem). No, I haven't heard of that happening either!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it's has been anticipated since spam filters are getting better they move to attachments, and mentioned on some AV pages, can't find now directly.

Though the old extension trick has been around for a while; file name.pdf.exe.

First PDF worm, August 2001, though not affecting the PDF Reader, but the Acrobat software.
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/pdf.shtml

Thanks

Hmmm. I haven't seen anything yet, but our filter tends to identify the usual nonsensical quotes as spam. As soon as I see a glimpse of that I delete the mail without bothering to check what kind of attachment there may have been.

(I was horrified to discover the other day that we can get over 900 spam messages a day to our server that are identified by failing various criteria and just not downloaded! Our ADSL connection went down for just over 24 hours and it took over 4 hours to check the 1,200+ queued mail items and determine if they were valid or not!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Westerneagle,

Computer World has the full details of your email.