5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible Search Criteria (XP Pro SP2)

Hello, I'm using Windows Classic Search. I have a saved search that searches a set of specific folders. When I launch the search the "Look In" menu features a directory icon but no text. The name of the folder is missing. I can run the search and Windows conducts it properly but it is disconcerting not to be able to see the name of the folder being searched. This is only with a saved search. If I navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer and then run a search I can see the directory name (which is "F:Coreldraw Files A-Z"). Has anyone else run across this kind of bug with the saved search location not being visible. Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Search Criteria (XP Pro SP2)

Use XP search instead of classic search? The path is displayed correctly there...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Hans. I'm not sure that I can! I created a slipstream install of XP using nLite and foolishly, perhaps, set some tweaks to choose classic search. I can't find a way to restore the XP search. Having said this, I find the classic search more functional though I don't like the white sidebar and wish I could find a way to change the colour. I guess I can live with the missing info line - certainly the prospect of completely reinstalling windows rates as a lot more annoying. Can anyone thing of an alternative solution?

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks

It looks like you can adjust that setting using TweakUI. Click on Explorer (in TweakUI) and there are a bunch of checkboxes. Toward the end is one for "Use Classic Search in Explorer."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thanks, I tried that and also the tweaks from Kelly's Korner. The problem I discovered was through doing a customized installation I had Srchasst.inf missing from the Windows Inf directory. Here's a link to one source of information I used checking this outI retrieved it from an old Acronis System Backup since I couldn't find a way to extract it from the Windows Installation CD. After installing this I could get the XP Search back complete with the cosmetic canine (which I gotrid of straight away). So now it seems I can choose between the more functional but anaemic classic search with missing search information or the vivid but less functional XP search which shows the search path correctly. My preferred solution would be a fix for the traditional search but I've given up holding my breath for one.

Cheers,

Chris