2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-references in a protected document (Word XP)

Hi everyone,

I've got a document in which I'm using Form elements (text boxes, check boxes, etc.). Consequently I've protected that section of the document. However, I also have cross-references in that section to allow users to navigate to other areas in the document quickly. Once I protect the section, the x-refs don't work. Is there a way around this? Anyone have alternate ideas?

Unfortunately my customers have constrained me to making the document look the way this front page does, which means the x-refs have to be on the same page as the form.

I've attached a prototype. The final version will have many more text boxes and at least 6 more x-refs. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross-references in a protected document (Word XP)

You'd have to put the cross references in an unprotected section. You can use continuous section breaks to have multiple sections on the first page, some of which are protected.
    As far as I know, there is no way to have a working hyperlink in a protected section.

Or you could use command buttons from the Control Toolbox. Those will still work in a protected section. The On Click event procedure for such a button could look like this:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    [tabActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Purpose").Select
    End Sub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Yes, I thought of Continuous breaks too. Unfortunately, I have to do tables, and they want check boxes to the right of the cross-references.

Looking at the example I sent originally I realize that's not displayed. The example I've attached this time shows what I mean. I don't see any way to even do continuous breaks, since the check boxes are in a cell to the right of the x-refs.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no way to do what you want with cross references. As I mentioned in my previous reply, you could use command buttons from the Control Toolbox instead.