3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Query (XL2003 sp2)

I've got 180k records in an Access database (a program which I know very little about) and read that MS Query can enable a user to create an Excel Pivot Table without bringing over the data.
    So from the MenuBar I tried Data-Import External Data-New Database Query. A dialog box appears explaining that MS Excel can't start MS Query because it is not installed. When I clicked Yes, to answer "Install it Now?" the installation quits because it can't find PR011.MSI.

Maybe I'm not supposed to have MS Query (you know the old saying about a little knowledge can be dangerous).

Is there an Excel alternative to MS Query? I'd really like to bring results into an Excel Pivot table rather than trying to figure out more than I already know about Access.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Query (XL2003 sp2)

Try the following. You may need to insert your Office 2003 CD-Rom during the process.
    - Quit all Office applications.
    - Activate the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Software).
    - Select Microsoft Office 2003 in the list of installed programs.
    - Click Change.
    - Select 'Add or remove features', then click Next.
    - Expand the 'Office Tools' node.
    - Locate 'MS Query' in the list.
    - Click the dropdown arrow next to its icon and select "Run from My Computer".
    - Click Update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Query (XL2003 sp2)

Thanks Hans. I will use this as a checklist for my IT person when it nears the top of his pile.

I tried the steps you listed but end up with "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

Your instruction "- Select 'Add or remove features', then click Next." should also include "Check the checkbox "Choose advanced customization of applications"" in order to expand the Office Tools node.