2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Workers Access Rights - SBS 2003 R2

My business will be typical of many, in that I increasingly need to provide individual workers with remote access to our server, to allow them to carry out tasks when on the road, or when working from home.

I employ an external IT Manager who has responsibility for configuring and managing our network.

I am not a networking expert, but I do know that the IT guy uses a VPN and Terminal Services for this "remote working".

We also have a second office in a different city, and a permanent VPN connection is enabled, so that this second office can use Terminal Services to access and work on some databases held on the Head Office server.

My problem concerns access rights for office-based Managers wishing to work from home.

I am happy to allow this, but want to restrict the areas of the server that they can access remotely. I have no reason to distrust these Managers; however, my rationale is that much of the intellectual property of my business is stored on shared drives on the Server, because my office staff need to access this information in their day to day work. (Obviously more sensitive information such as financial data is stored on restricted drives).

And whilst I am quite comfortable for my staff to have free access to such shared drives in the office environment, I don't particularly want them to be able to spend several hours rooting around the drive, unmonitored, from the comfort of their own home.

I also don't want them to be able to easily copy the whole contents of the shared drives, from a remote location.

It isn't that I suspect for one second that any of my staff would indulge in such espionage (!), but people's livelihoods depend on my business continuing, so I think I have a responsibility to protect my data as best I can.

Okay - sorry for the verbose introduction - now the techy question:-

My IT guy tells me that it is impossible to restrict the access rights of an office worker working from home, over and above the restrictions they face at work.

So, for example, if I want to restrict someone to a particular directory (which would be the only one they would be likely to need when remote working), even if we configure an additional Terminal Services profile with these restrictions, if the worker simply logged in (over the VPN) with his normal work credentials, he would be able to access all the areas he can see when working in the office.

I find it hard to belive that setting up a second profile for someone working remotely, with different access rights, can be so difficult / impossible, so if anyone can give me some pointers as to how to do this, I would be extremely grateful.

Neil

ps. My IT guy tells me that any remote access / internet access etc, is handled directly by the Draytec routers (the same router is present in both offices).

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Workers Access Rights - SBS 2003 R2

Does this link help you?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure, Joh, but I will pass the link to my IT guy to review.

Many thanks for posting it.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I've realised that my post was far too long for busy people to read, but the gist of my question is:-

"Is it possible to for a user who accesses a network server from the office where the physical network is located, but also remotely, to have different access rights in each case? This would mean that there would be areas of the server which they cannot access remotely, but would be able to when they are in the office".

Thanks

Neil

Administrator
    Thanks

Hosting Applications with Terminal Server should give your IT guy a good overview of what is possible.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Joe - there seems to be a lot of info at that link.

However, I've had a brief look through, and I can't immediately see what I'm looking for....

So, does anyone else happen to know whether it is possible to configure the same user to have different access rights if they log on remotely, as opposed to on the network?

Neil