New Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling auto increment for non-AutoNumber fields (2003 SP2)

We often enter data directly into Access tables. In any column, regardless of data type, if I enter an integer, drop down one row with the down arrow key, enter the preceding number plus 1, and drop down again, the third row field is automatically filled with the original number plus 2. The behaviour is much like Excel's Auto Fill. It seems to work only with increments of 1 or 2. No one recalls this behaviour in Access prior to 2003.

Short of not entering data in tables, is there any way to turn this "feature" off? TIA.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disabling auto increment for non-AutoNumber fields (2003 SP2)

My first reply would be: never let end users enter data in a table or query directly. Always use a form (single or continuous, not datasheet) for this.

There is no way to turn this feature off entirely in Access 2003. You can set a default value for the field; this will disable AutoFill, but enter the default value instead. Not sure if that is better...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disabling auto increment for non-AutoNumber fields (2003 SP2)

Thank you for the information, Hans. As for your caution about entering data directly to tables, I can only say that I have not been here for as long as the "we've always done it that way" attitude has. <sigh>