3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NAS & Multi-users (Access 2003)

I have an Access database stored on a Network Attached Storage device (Buffalo 250GB). I have tried to access the file on two different computers but Access will allow only one PC access at a time. If another PC has this file opened, the other PC will not be able to open the file. Double click the icon has no response until the other PC quits from the database. I copy this same database onto a PC and share it out. Both PCs can open the file at the same time. Has anyone encountered the same problem before?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NAS & Multi-users (Access 2003)

This is most probably not an Access problem, but a problem with permissions on the folder on the NAS (or on the .mdb file).You could test this by placing a text file or Word document in the same folder and letting two users try to open it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Apparently the problem with the NAS on Access lies with the security settings with IE. Lets say you have two PCs: A and B. If you use A to run the Access program and always receive the "unknown publisher" warning msg but B is not getting that same msg, then you need to start A with Access first before B uses Access. Otherwise A will not run Access at all. The problem lies on the warning msg pop up. It cannot pop up if B is using Access first and thus A cannot run Access.

The solution to that is to modify the security settings on your Internet Explorer. You need to put your NAS as part of your Intranet. Trusted site will not work. What I don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution - it may well help another user in the future.

(I'm a bit surprised - I'd have expected the NAS to be part of the local intranet automatically.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is not just the NAS. If you have a PC that shares a folder out to the network containing the Access mdb file, you may have the same issues. I have tested it on two peer-to-peer networks, one has this problem but the other does not. The only difference between these two networks is the one that does not have the problem has XP Home as the clients with XP Pro sharing the file out. The network that has the problem contains 3 PCs all running XP Pro.