Hi, all. I have a very small VB utility that I wrote that, among other things, checks to see if Acrobat 7 is installed on a user's workstation. Here is the function that is used:

Function AcrobatInstalled() As Boolean
Dim wsh As Object
On Error Resume Next
Set wsh = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
wsh.RegRead "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOfficeWordAddi nsPDFMaker.OfficeAddin"
If Err.Number = 0 Then AcrobatInstalled = True
If Err.Number <> 0 Then AcrobatInstalled = False
Set wsh = Nothing
Err.Clear
End Function

The premise of the function is that, if the key isn't found, it throws the error "Invalid root in registry key", which is to be expected. If it IS installed (or, technically, if the key exists), it goes on it's merry way and returns True.

When I test it on my machine, it works fine. When other users run it, it returns an error along the lines of "Can't READ registry key" (emphasis mine!)

I know it's a quick-and-dirty function, but I don't really see where the flaw in the logic is (at least if the Acrobat add-in key is there.) Since the users on whose machines this doesn't work CAN delete the registry key manually, I don't see how it would be permissions-related per se. Can someone shine some light on this for me? Thanks in advance...