3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

clean install Outlook 2003 (Office Pro 2003, SP2)

I need help! I've made every mistake possible and, as a result, my Outlook is completely messed up. My Operating System is Vista. I had to re-format my hard drive and re-install all my software. My only problem is Outlook. All my files had been saved to an external hard drive.

I opened my new installation of Outlook and Imported my backed up .pst file. Now, there were two Personal Folders files.

I printed out earlier questions about duplicate .pst files from this Forum and tried to delete the new Personal Folders file. After several tries, I wound up with about four duplicate .pst files...I became completely confused.

I uninstalled Outlook three times and re-installed it. Those four files showed up each time. Finally, I uninstalled all of Office. I shut down and re-booted and did a fresh install of Office Pro 2003. I went to the location where my new empty personal folders files should be...and there wasn't one. When I opened Outlook for the first time, it asked for the location of my .pst file, which I supplied.

Outlook opened up and there were the four previous .pst files!

Needless to say, I am discouraged. Any suggestions? Simple and step-by-step, please.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: clean install Outlook 2003 (Office Pro 2003, SP2)

It shouldn't be necessary to uninstall and reinstall Outlook to solve this problem.
    First see if you can close some of the Personal Folders files by right-clicking them - if they can be closed, there will be an item Close ... in the popup menu. You won't be able to close all of them.
    Next, check File | Data File Management... If multiple files are listed here, try to remove some of them.
    If all this doesn't work, quit Outlook and create a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I tried opening Outlook and received a message saying "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened."

I tried uninstalling Outlook again, re-installing and then running Repair. I am at my wit's end.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Endlessly reinstalling won't help. Have you tried creating a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel? MSKB article How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003 gives step-by--step instructions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I did it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So does it work correctly now?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Hans. I am just embarrassed to keep asking you for help. I added the new profile then copied my Contacts, Mail Folders, Calendar, etc. to the new Personal Folders. Now, I'm trying to connect my Contacts to the E-Mail Accounts so I can send emails. I'm receiving mail okay. I'm still showing two Tasks, two Contacts and two Calendars, but only one Personal Folders.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I got it! Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I got it! Thank you!