5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Porting over 2003 to New Computer & 2007 (Office 2003 & 2007)

I bought a new computer and the quesion is how best to bring over office 2003 and upgrade to 2007 for the new computer. Do I upgrade the old computer first and then bring over the files. Or bring over the files and then just install 2007 on the new computer?
    Do I use IBM THinkpad migration software on the new computer or do I use Microsoft office migration software.
    How do I best maintain the old settings and my old menus on say word but still get rid of any bad settings for 2007??
    THanks
    Jerome

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Porting over 2003 to New Computer & 2007 (Office 2003 & 2007)

Does the company where you bought the PC offer to transfer data and settings for you? That might be the easiest solution.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans:
    I bought it from UCLA where I am a professor and in this case for migrating, the chief cook and bottle washer, You are looking at the chief IT person ie me!!!
    Any thoughts what the best way to do it??
    IBM thinkpad transfer routine?
    or Micorosft migration routine?
    and /or upgrading the old machine first with office 2007 or
    or? Do a clean 2007 install into the new machine and move the data files over?
    I would love to see all my custom menu bars on the new 2007 but not certain that they will migrate over?
    There is supposed to be a program that makes word 2007 look like 2003 with all of my customized and old favorite menu bars?
    Is wopr 2007 working on 2007???
    Thanks Jerome

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Office 2007 yet so I hope someone else has the answers for you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 30-Jun-07 10:05. Added last two statements)</P>What I do, Is clean up the NEW machine. There is always software on them that I do NOT want, including all of the 90 day AV programs. This also would include the 90 day trial version of Office.

Then install the AV and other protections programs, including my Firewall and etc. Get it working with my network and even take it for a trial run to a "Coffee Shop" wireless connection. Next get ALL of the Microsoft Windows Updates.

Now start loading your "Production" software and get them updated from the OEM web sites. At this time I also install all of those "NICE" little toys that I remember that I use all the time. This includes my "Screen Capture" program, Image resizer program, and etc.

Now that you have a great clean working machine, bring over your data. I have yet to use any of those migration programs, I go in and set up the accounts and settings that I want. You will always remember something that you forgot. By the way NONE of these migrations programs will catch everything.

As for Office 2007 and 2003 customization, you are up the Creek with that. With the complete new interface, any customization is going to have to be redone. The so called 2003 "look a likes" are not that well developed in my thoughts.

As for WOPR 2007, Is it released as I have not seen it yet?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

See if Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP or Windows Vista: Features Explained: Easy Transfer would be of help depending on the old and new operating systems.

Joe
    Joe