New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of contents titles in headers? (2007/2003)

I have a table of contents that is Harvard Outline style, rather than more straightforward chapter numbers. I want my headers to reflect information about where in the Outline a reader is, depending on the page he's on. In the event that there are multiple sections on one page, the header could just default to the topmost section (I dont care what the behavior is of this condition... I just want the basic idea, and realize that this prospect is very plausible).

So, if I had a TOC that looked like the following (numbers represent page numbers):

Snakes 2
    --Snakes with Fangs 3
    --Snakes that are Poisonous 15
    Wolves 61
    Bats 90
    --Bats without Wings 106
    ----Bats without legs too 110
    --Tropical Bats 115
    --Day-dwelling Bats 190
    The End 222

On page 23, I would want the header to be "Snakes --> Snakes that are Poisonous"
    On page 111, I would want the header to be "Bats --> Bats without Wings --> Bats without legs too"

Because headers perpetuate themselves on every page, I am looking for a formula (i guess?) that would allow for this. If a more reasonable solution involves just putting something at the top of every page (or in the title of the section) I am completely open to suggestion.

Oh boy...

Thank you!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of contents titles in headers? (2007/2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It's easy to include the chapter title in the header or footer:
    - Position the insertion point where you want the chapter title in the header or footer.
    - Select Insert | Field...
    - Select StyleRef in the list of fields.
    - Select the style used for the chapter titles (probably Heading 1) in the list of styles.
    - Click OK.

Similarly, you can insert StyleRef fields referring to Heading 2 etc. But I don't know how to create StyleRefs with varying depths, up to the deepest level heading present on a page. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion for that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of contents titles in headers? (2007/200

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response! I didn't even realize that I should explore the field list...

After I scrolled down to the StyleRef, I found another field, "SkipIf" It requires an expression to be built. I don't have time at the moment, but I am going to use that and experiment with page numbers and an expression for that to get the nested result I am looking for.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the help. If I come up with a solution, I will make sure to post. Likewise, if the SkipIf solution sounds quirky, please let me know. I have no experience using it!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think SkipIf will help here - it is intended to skip a record conditionally during a mail merge. You might look into the If field, however.

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Using SkipIf definitely wouldn't have helped, thanks for that heads up. Worked at this for a few hours and didn't come up with anything fruitful. I started playing with hidden text in the document and assigning lines of hidden text different headings, but it became very messy and my document is still undergoing heavy revision.

The closest in web research I found was a site here: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Conditiona...rs_Footers.htm

The process is pretty intuitive, but what they do actually ends up being much more simple than what I intended to do. They mark text with either nothing, one category, or another. Depending on the category, the header/footer say one thing, another, or nothing. I couldn't come up with a formulaic way of deducing whether or not there was a Heading X on the current page, and this made what i was trying to do much more complex.

Thanks again for helping out. I do appreciate it. I will end up using the Chapter title and just leaving it at that, as it is still neat, and it provides more information to the reader than a blank space.

-- Rav3n