Thread: Temporary Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Temporary Files

I cleaned my cache yesterday, and since then I have added 3,081 objects.

I know I can't stop the cache growing, but is there a way to manage it better.

What worries me in particular is that all 3,081 objects are reported to be held in 9 separate places.

Firstly in " Temporary Internet Files", then in a sub diurectory " Content.IE5", then in 7 more MS randomly named sub dirs the first of which is "01E7WTIN".

The net result is that in 24 hours, I have a reported 42Mb of disk space occupied by temporary files. This must presumably have an effect on disk access speeds.

Any thoughts as to how to mange this accumaulation (other than not logging on!!!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Temporary Files

The sites that you visit determine what files are to be downloaded. The only thing you can do is to clean out you temp files ever time you logoff the internet.

You can control the amount of space that is reserved for the internet temp files, by using the settings in the 'Internet Options' pane. Depending of the size of your hard drive, I would keep the setting to be at least 200 megs. If you go to small you will be downloading ALL items every time you revisit a web page.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I wanted to chime in with my own preferences. Dave explained it well enough that I don't need to do that again.

I set my cache size at 35MB. With the space on today's hard drives, even on a 2.1GB drive, that is not much and is effective. Too much will slow your browser down.

I use a tool called CacheSentry to manage this for me. Why? It does a better job than IE - for me at least. Read more about it at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mindspring.com/~dpoch/enigmatic/cachesentry.html>http://www.mindspring.com/~dpoch/eni...chesentry.html</A>.

A large number of small files split across several direcotires? I wouldn't lose sleep over it given the hundreds of small, useless files living on my hard drive like so many dust bunnies. IE's cache in versions 5 and up is extremely well done and is fast, and if it took a hundred directories I still wouldn't care. As long as it worked well, that is!
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not so much worried about the space used, as the effect on disk access speeds. If this overhead is minimal, then I've got no problem.

My cache is currently set to 200Mb, and I've pleny of space available, but when I use Explorer, it can take several seconds to display the tree for any of these directories.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You stated "can take several seconds to display the tree for any of these directories".
    This is normal for these folders and not much one can do to speed this up.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I would keep the setting to be at least 200 megs <hr>
    Hi Dave
    Not a good idea, I'm afraid. Increasing the cache size that much could lead to all sorts of problems. In spite of what MS says, 20-50Mb is optimum. Microsoft says to increase cache size, but Developers suggest not letting Temporary Internet files get too big - or so I'm told. Check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html> here </A> for why this might be.
    Cheers

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

I tend to feel that there is likely to be a point at which performance degrades.

Has anyone any idea why there are multiple copies of all the cache files.

Thanks

Blind guess:
    Multiple windows = multiple cache folders

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, I use "View Source " all the time and never had any of the problems listed in your link. My temp folder is set at 376 and has been that way since day one of the time I installed Windows 2000, on my Windows XP machines it is set at 357. These have been set by the different IE version that have been installed.
    I clean out the temp files every week or so. If you have a small setting, you will have a slower response as the cache is gets full and must make room for more.