3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

networking (XP up-to-date)

I had successfully networked my pcs and printer until a year ago, when I replaced my laptop with a new (at the time) Dell Inspiron. This pc came with a multi-year subscription to MacFee Security (internet, virus, etc.). With the new pc I was able to connect to the internet but not to the other pcs on the network. I've been using DVD burning (or CD burning) to transfer files -- very inefficient.

How can I get this network working? The other pcs on the network use ZoneAlarm for firewall protection. One uses Zonealarm for virus protection, and soon all except the laptop will, as Norton 2007 caused multiple restarts per day when I replaced Norton 2006 with Norton 2007. The other pcs network well.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: networking (XP up-to-date)

I have moved your post to the "Networking your home" forum, as that is where we discuss these issues.

Please try following the steps in Star<post:=589883>post 589883</post:> and let us know how you get on.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your rapid response. I started following the steps as referenced in the post. I discovered that the Windows XP firewall on the laptop was indeed still on, along with the MacAfee firewall, but turning the Windows firewall off did not make a difference. I then moved to subsequent steps, but was unable to do "ipconfig", as the DOS screen came and went so quickly that I could not read it. [I had the same effect on another pc, yet I know that I have used that command in the past.] I took a break and came back to discover a blue screen -- my first on Windows XP (which I have used since it came out, as Windows Me was an unmitigated disaster). I followed its test advice as well as testing with a Dell system support person. Everything is consistent: my hard drive is dead. So I will start all over when the new drive arrives Thursday. And it appears I lost over 7 GB of picture data from an overseas trip that I just came back from Sunday morning. [It was the process of transfering this data that led me to try once again to get the laptop networked. I can rebuild my data, as I do not erase my Compact Flash card data until I have the pictures backed up on my main system with its external drive backup, but much of the data represented pictures from other travellers.] C'est la guerre.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a couple of comments while you wait for your repair (good luck with it!) and since Stuart is not logged on just now.

To see the command window in a static condition you need to first Start, Run: CMD alone. This will keep the command window open so you can see the results of your IPCONFIG tests or other commands as well.

It sounds like you said you turned off the Windows firewall but left the McAfee firewall turned on. For initial test purposes, I would turn them both off. If you can then see the network, you'll know that you need to dig into the firewall to set it up for allowing the network. Personally, I think Zone Alarm (free) does an excellent job and is not too difficult to setup.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your rapid response, even for filling on!
    I tried the "cmd" approach on this pc, and everything works fine in terms of reading the results. Thanks.
    Are you suggesting that I disable the firewall part of MacAfee on my laptop, and use the free ZoneAlarm firewall instead? FYI: I used the free ZoneAlarm firewall on all of my pcs until I bought the Inspiron last year. It came with the full MacAfee security suite installed, and a four-year renewal, so I used it. Also, Norton 2007 caused restart disaster with the first desktop on which I installed it, so I switched to the full paid version of ZoneAlarm for my other pcs.
    Until I removed the Windows XP firewall yesterday, I could "see" the laptop on my network but all attempts to access it were rejected. I could not "see" the desktops from the laptop. All of this is academic now. And I rememberede last night that I recently bought an 8GB portable drive for data transfer, so I could have readily transfered the picture data before the failure, but ....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, I guess there's no "pressing" need to get rid of McAfee if it's paid and multi-year. I just got turned off about them a long time ago. However, for initial network testing, it probably would be helpful to disable ALL firewalls until you diagnose your network. THEN, you can figure out how to talk McAfee into allowing the PCs to see one another.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I did disconnect my home network from the internet and turn off the firewalls on the laptop and one pc, but they could still not "see" each other. The situation was actually more strange than that. For months, there was no trouble accessing the internet or the networked printer from any of the pcs including the laptop. Sometimes -- but not always -- I could transfer files between my laptop and my wife's pc in the family room downstairs. Unfortunately, while I was travelling the past two weeks, we had water come in downstairs and, as a precaution, my wife had a friend disassemble her pc and move it to higher ground. [There was no real danger, as water would flow out the back door before it reached the level of the pc, but ....] So the network issue has really vexed me for a year. [To make it even more confusing, I was initially able to transfer files between the laptop and other pcs, but after running Dell's "helpful" networking program, I could no longer do it or recover to my previous state.]