2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Internet Explorer (Windows XP 2005 Media E

Hi,

Here's an odd one...

A friend of mine inherited a Pentium 4 machine, and decided to buy a sealed OEM copy of XP Pro Media Edition 2005 on eBay. I came over this evening to install it.

Install went smoothly, I formatted the drive before starting. The two discs certainly look legitimate, and there was no problem with the installation key. After it prompted for the second disc, a few minutes passed and then it prompted for the SP-2 disc - which was not included in what he bought. No problem - we'll download it from Microsoft Update after the install finishes.

The install concluded smoothly, then the weird stuff began. Nothing happened when I clicked on Windows Update (to get to Microsoft Update). I then double-clicked the IE icon, and it asked what program I wanted to use to launch Internet Explorer. IE wasn't listed. I couldn't find any trace of the iexplorer.exe anywhere on the C Drive. What's worse, the search function didn't seem to work. Any search would immediately return the "No Match Found" message. Even when I looked up a file and then entered it into the search, it wouldn't find it.

Is there a reason why IE wouldn't be installed with this version? I just use the regular XP Pro, so I've never had to deal with this. Shall I just try re-installing it again?

Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Internet Explorer (Windows XP 2005 Media E

If your friend's P4 machine was made from another vendor than OEM's, Windows OEM installation is in breach with EULA. If the vendor is the same, contact it. If not, it is strange that setup routine went so far. Your friend have to acquire retail version of Windows or OEM version from the same vendor.

Thanks

Re: Missing Internet Explorer (Windows XP 2005 Media E

Following kaplinb's thought a little further, I would re-partition the drive first to possibly eliminate an OEM partition and then re- format the new partition and then install with the XP Pro CD.

I see no reason for it not working, IF there is a single new partition involved.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!