3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Hanging (Outlook 2003)

Any customers who have upgraded from any previous version of Outlook or Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 have a terrible "hang time".
    Outlook takes 1 to 10 minutes to open.
    Every email takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open the first time (Once opened it opens quickly until Outlook is closed and then it starts all over again).
    If I do not use the imported data i.e. create a new blank profile everything is fine, as soon as I import their old data, this issue begings.
    This has occured on no less than 6 computers over the last 2 years and I have double and triple checked the backed up files (OE or Outlook's PST).
    I have tried using the Backup files from the old version and I have just imported the files "as is".
    If I take the customer back to the old version or to Outlook Express only, things run fine.
    These are all XP machines, some Home some Pro. All have all Office and Windows Updates.
    They have various and different security software (anti-virus, firewalls, SPAM filters [some with no SPAM filters other than Outlooks], etc)
    I have double checked and on a couple of machines when I tried to run an Office update, Microsoft basically said the software was "not legal" but the "normal" activation did not give such an error. This was on 2 of the computers.
    ALL the software is MS Office OEM because I provided it when I built the computers and all of it IS LEGAL. I'm not putting my back side in a pinch for a few $.

Now here is the real kicker, occasionally (about 1 in 20 times) Outlook will run just fine until it is closed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Outlook 2003 Hanging (Outlook 2003)

Is this an Exchange or standalone environment? Have you tried disabling all addins?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Kent,

I have suffered a very similar problem with Outlook 2003 which has been installed over the 97 version, and I have had erratic performance ever since then - locking up, very slow to open and slow to open a message or move to a new screen. I re-installed 2003 from a new MS 2003 disk several times but this did not make any significant difference.

However at least a year or more ago I did find an article in PC World which dealt with this issue. It stated that these problems could be caused by an old 97 driver still hiding on the system, and went on to describe how to do a thorough removal job.

I followed this process, but unfortunately this did not solve the problem I tried to contact the author through PC World for help, but this attempt also failed - and what's more I cannot now locate the copy which contained the article ! Try trawling through about 36 issues of PC World !

I have now got to the point of thinking about a new desktop to start with a clean slate, but there must be a solution to what is clearly not a unique malfunction, as your multiple instances of the same or very similar problem proves.

Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Kent,
    I have been watching the posts on the emails and found some which led me to a solution for my slow performance. I am not too sure if it was Hans who had identified a problem with spyware which prompted Outlook to search through a large list of approved sites before opening up for business and took its time doing this.

This made me check out an old copy of Spybot which was still resident on my PC, but not visible to me - so I rapidly uninstalled it and hey presto my problem was solved !

I'm not sure if this is going to help you, but it deserves wider circulation for others who are not getting the performance they should have.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem you mention occurs with HTML format e-mails only, if you have enabled Immunize in spybot Search and Destroy, and/or if you have enabled protection in SpywareBlaster.
    If you would like to keep this protection there are two ways to work around the problem in Outlook:
    - Don't use HTML format for e-mails, or
    - Set Outlook to start in the "root" of your mailbox (it can be called Personal Folders, or Outlook Today, or Mailbox for ...); you specify this by selecting Tools | Options, activating the Other tab and clicking Advanced Options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stand alone.
    Sorry for the delay, the site has been "unavaliable" to me for a very long time.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the idea. On three of the machines it was either a complete fresh install of Windows and Office with the old data imported or an "upgrade" from Outlook Express with a fresh install of Office.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV, I saw your post before I even posted here. I do use those programs so I removed them (and they are still removed) but the problem persist. I also turned Word off and HTML and set Outlook to open in the "personal folders" all to no avail.
    Because none of this worked I decided to...
    1. Backup Outlook to "My Documents"
    2. Rename Outlook.pst to Outlook1.pst
    3. Uninstall Office
    4. Move Outlook1.pst to "C:"
    5. Reboot the PC and reinstall Office.
    When I opened Outlook for the first time, even though it could not find the PST it remembered all the email info.
    Why?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly do you mean by "all the email info"? If you mean your account settings, those are not stored in the .pst file, but in the Windows registry.