2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking Tables (Access 2000)

In my access database I have a linked sql table. I would like to create table in my local database that links its row to rows in the sql table. There is a unique key in the sql database that I could use as a key in my access table. I don't need every row in the sql table to be in my access table. I will create a form that runs from a query that links the two tables. The user wants the top have of the form to be information the sql table. They would then like to add information to the bottom half of the form and have it enter into the access table that is linked to that row. Any thoughts, what is the easiest way to do this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking Tables (Access 2000)

Instead of using a query that links the two tables, create a main form based on the SQL table and a subform based on the Access table, and link the subform to the main form by setting the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties to the name of the key field. When the user creates a record in the subform, Access will automatically fill in the value of the key field in the subform with the value from the current record in the main form.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That worked very well, thank you.

What would casue the subform and subreport I created no the show on print and print preview?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No idea. Normally, subforms and subreports are included in print (preview).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I remove the Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields the subreport shows on print preview and print. It does work or show on layout preview.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Erm, does the Access table contain any records yet? If not, it might well be suppressed in print preview.