2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Total to display in a floating window (Excel 2003)

Hi all,
    For reasons too complicated to go into, I am trying to get Excel to display the Sum of a row of data in a floating window in Excel. By floating I mean one that stays in the same position on the screen, regardless of where you scroll to in the worksheet.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks.

Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Total to display in a floating window (Excel 2

You can use the Watch Window

Select the cells you want to watch
    Select "Tools > Formula Auditing" and then click "Show Watch Window"
    Click "Add Watch" - as you have already selected the cells you want to watch they should appear in the dialog, you can change the cells at this stage.
    Finally click "Add"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Total to display in a floating window (Excel 2003)

You can use Tony's solution if you have a cell containing a formula that calculates the row total. The advantage is that you don't need any code.
    If you prefer not to use a cell with a SUM formula, you can use the attached workbook as starting point. It shows a small userform with the total of row 1. The disadvantage is that isuses VBA code, so users have to enable macros. You can modify the code as needed. The range to be watched is defined in the basGlobal module, in the constant strRange.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

This is probably going to be one of those "duh" questions but...

I downloaded your file and saw the form and numbers on row 1. Clearly it does what the original poster asked for.

I decided to put in a few comments on the sheet "Sheet" where you have the numbers on row 1. I skipped down to row 5 and started adding my own explanatory comments.

However, the comments would not spill over to column B. I could enter whatever I wanted and it was all there. But I could only see in A5 whatever fit in the width of col A. There was nothing in B5, although your numbers spanned A1, B1, C1,... If I made col A wider, I could see more of my comment. If I set the alignment for the cells with my comments to Wrap Text, everything was visible across multiple lines within the cell.

I checked a few things and didn't see anything that explained this behavior. What am I missing?

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No idea. If I enter text in A5, it displays across the cells in adjacent columns if they are empty. So it's not a feature of the workbook I posted.