2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro to ease saving/invoking Excel scenarios (Excel 2002)

Sorry about the length of this question; I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro to ease saving/invoking Excel scenarios (Excel 2002)

If you want to store the "states" in the workbook itself, you could do the following:
    <UL><LI>Insert a new worksheet into the workbook.
    <LI>Make it hidden (or if you prefer, set its Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden in the Visual Basic Editor).
    <LI>Create a userform with
    <UL><LI>A list box or combo box to list the existing "states".
    <LI>A text box to enter a new name in.
    <LI>Command buttons for Load, Save, Add, Delete and Close.[/list]<LI>When the user enters a name and clicks Add:
    <UL><LI>The code determines the first 10 x 5 block of free cells in the hidden sheet.
    <LI>It names this block using the name provided by the user.
    <LI>It copies/pastes B3:F12 to the named range.
    <LI>It adds the name at the bottom of a list elsewhere in the hidden sheet, and adjusts the row source of the list box/combo box.[/list]<LI>When the user selects a name in the list box/combo box and clicks Load:
    <UL><LI>The code copies/pastes the range of that name into B3:F12 (perhaps paste special with the Values option)[/list]<LI>The Save button overwrites an existing named range with the current values.
    <LI>The Delete button deletes the named range, removes the name from the list and updates the row source of the list box/combo box.[/list]This is just the basic idea. You'll need to add a lot of error checking.

Another possibility would be to store each "state" in a separate small workbook. This makes it easy to exchange "states" with other users.
    You can use the GetOpenFileName and GetSaveAsFileName dialogs to let the user open/save states.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro to ease saving/invoking Excel scenarios (Excel 2002)

Hans,

This is a very useful starting point. Thank you for taking the time to outline the "baby steps" -- I'm now encouraged to try this out.

Your answer, by the way, is much closer to what I was looking for than the full code which Jezza suggested I was seeking.

Regards, and thanks again,

Lingyai