Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    report/Subreport problem (2003)

    I have a report with 2 subreports. It works fine. When I add a third sub report I get error messages. First the report does not show the data from the third subreport. Second when I look at the link master and link child fields I get an error saying: Application-defined or object-defined error. I cannot find anything meaningful or pertaining to the issue in MS KB.
    I have tried repairing the Office installation, I have tried running the same database on three different computers with Office 2003, creating a new database and importing all the objects into it - all with the same results.
    This is beginning to drive me nuts.

    Does anybody have any idea what I am missing here?

    Thanks in advance,

    itconc

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    Try importing all database objects into a blank new database.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    I have done that - same results.
    Thanks,

    itconc

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

  5. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    I have it stripped down to one group and matching records in the subreport. Interestingly, I can now see the data in the subreport. That has not happened before. I still get the error message. Thanks for any help!

    itconc

  6. #6
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    I have no explanation for the error message. My guess would be that it has something to do with both the main report and subreport being based on crosstab queries, but I have no proof for that.
    I don't understand the database, so I can't offer further help at the moment. Sorry!

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    Thanks for trying!

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    I changed the definitions of the queries a bit, and created a new subreport. This time, I can use the builder to specify the linking fields. See attached version.

    Note: I didn't pay any attention to the layout of the subreport.

  9. #9
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    Thanks Hans. I see that the report now works but cannot see what you have done - cannot see the forest for the trees. However, I made a copy of the report you returned and put my original subreport back in and it also works. Also, your mentioning the crosstabs gave me the idea of making a table out of at least the main report query. That also seems to work. However, that is a poor compromise.
    I looked at your subreport again and see that you are taking out one query. That gives me hope for my main database. I will go though all the recordsources for the subreports and simplify them.
    Thank you so much Hans. I will report back when all is solved.

    itconc

  10. #10
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    In your database, qryRegRepCrosstab only returns all fields from qryRRForCrosstab, so you can use qryRRForCrosstab instead. But that's not the cause of the problem.

    The main change I applied was to specify Column Headers for qryCrossWOBase, and to include all fields from this query in qryCrossWOCore.

  11. #11
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: report/Subreport problem (2003)

    Hans,
    Just to let you know- I cleaned up and simplified the queries and have had no problems with the report. No more error messages, or not showing data in the subreport. Thanks to a post (328354) on counting records in subreports I have even been able to avoid error messages when there are no records in the subreport.
    Thank you so much for your help and support.

    itconc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •