3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Putting total in a form (2003)

Hello,

I am creating a form with two tables. One table has the company information and the second contains the budget information. The budget information is a subform in the main form (company information). The budget Information table has a budget amount field where users will be asked to enter information. I need to put in a running total as new amounts are entered. What is the best way to do this. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Putting total in a form (2003)

You can put a text box in the form footer of the subform whose Control Source looks like
    <code>
    =Sum([NameOfField])
    </code>
    where NameOfField is the name of the budget amount field. If you wish, you can put a text box on the main form that refers to the text box in the form footer of the subform:
    <code>
    =[SubformName]![TextboxName]
    </code>
    The Orders form in the Northwind sample database that comes with Access demonstrates this.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Putting total in a form (2003)

You could put a calculated control on the main form and position it under the budget amount controlin the sub form. Use "=DSum("budget_amount_field", "budget_table", "customer_id_field = " & [customer_id_field_name_in_main_form])" as the control source. Each time a record is added/updated/or deleted in the sub form the subform AfterUpdate event should requery the summary control in the main form (me.parent.summary_control_name.requery). That way the summary amount would stay in sync with the details.