New Lounger
    Thanks

Approval Process (Office2003)

Hi,

Although a programmer by trade I don't have any experience with VBA.
    What I want to do is have a form that a user can fill info out and then route this to another person for approval and editing. I would also like to keep track of the status of this 'record'.

So some questions....
    1) What is a good web resource to start looking at? What about a published book?
    2) Should this be an MSAccess VBA program that sends notifications via outlook? Or should it be an Outlook VBA program that updates Access? Or some mix?

Thanks,
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Approval Process (Office2003)

You may not need to code anything. Microsoft Word (version 2003 and before) has a Routing Slip feature (File | Send To | Routing Recipient) that lets you send a document (which can contain a form) to a reviewer or reviewers, with an option to keep track of the document.

Warning: this feature is not available any more in Word 2007.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, thats pretty simple. I need a bit more control. Like...
    1) According to info entered in form send to appropriate person
    2) Reviewers should be identified by function rather than specific person, so that when people leave or get promoted just a few changes need to be made.
    3) Tracking. Need to track the info in the form. Info needs to go into a database eventualy and need to be able to query where the item is in the process.

This will be a stop-gap procurement system. Eventually we would move to something more full featured. But for now I need to learn how to do the above and to implement it.

Thanks,
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you provide more details of what you want to accomplish? What should be sent out - just an e-mail, or a file, or ...?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think we are flexible at this point.
    I need to route info from one user to another
    let them view, update, approve, reject, and escalate the info via a form
    keep the info (can be a copy) in a centralized database to allow for reporting on progress and historical data.

Thinking about it a bit more...
    What may work is an MS Access program that does the bulk of the work.
    Then have the form generated and sent via email, the user could then edit the info and submit it, it would then go back to the database and update the record.

I'll have to look through some of my emails but there was a reason why it was desired to have more of an Outlook centric archetecture. Where the routing was controlled via VBA in Outlook and only minimal databse interaction. So, I am investigating how this would be done, the effort to do it, and the stability of something implemented this way.

Thanks,
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's possible to let Access generate e-mails, attach files, process incoming mails etc., but it's not clear to me what kind of "form" you want to send. You cannot send an Access form by e-mail, at least not in such a way that the user can edit data in it.

Why not create a web interface to a database? You could store the data in an Access database for this, or SQL Server or MySQL, and use (for example) ASP to let the user enter/edit data.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have an Exchange server then you can probably do what you want using a set of forms and rules in a Public Folder.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV - by "Form" I mean a windows dialog form. The forms could have a set format and then the information in the fields could be sent back and forth.

StuartR - Where should I look for information on how to do that?

Thanks,
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For a bit more information on how to build applications based on Exchange public folders, have a look at this rather old article titled Deploying, Managing, and Using Public Folders.

StuartR