New Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding font problems (Word 97)

I am trying to embed TrueType fonts (set as print/preview embeddable) created for the company (both text and a logo font). I have found that when the word document is saved with fonts embedded selected and sent to a location outside the company (without the fonts installed), the results vary from recipient to recipient... and from file to file. Sometimes the logo displays/prints and sometimes it doesn't. Also, sometimes the document can be edited and sometimes it can't... some of the text fonts are displayed/printed correctly and sometimes they are replaced. I have been researching various forums and have not yet found an answer as to what may be causing the problem... If anyone has run into this problem and found a solution, please share! Thank you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding font problems (Word 97)

While I cannot say that I have answers to all your problems, the gist of my learning from hard experience is:

1. Never use the "Embed characters in Use only" feature. It often causes Word or even the machine itself to hang.

2. If you embed a font which does not contain all the style variants such as italics, bold italics and bold, the other variants may look different on other machines because italics are represented as sloped romans (in typesetting jargon) instead of as true italics. This happens when the italics and bold variants are separate TTF files and they are not used in the document.

3. Do not embed any Unicode font and the place value of every character in the font should be less than 255 : Word 97 and lower versions cannot recognise characters beyond place value 255 (ANSI set) and do not support the Unicode standard, or even double-byte character sets.

4. For logos it is preferable to use a graphic than to use a font character.

5. Postscript fonts cannot be embedded.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding font problems (Word 97)

Thank you for this information. It does provide me with information I was unaware of. And, somethings to look into.