5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Archive (Outlook 2003)

Hi all,

Every few weeks, Outlook archives all my older emails. It makes them effectively disappear. Does anyone know where they go or how I can access them?

Thank you,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Archive (Outlook 2003)

Go to File | Open | Outlook Data File. Select archive.pst. BTW, you can set a different archive schedule for any folder by right clicking, select Properties | Autoarchive and set how you wish.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello,

I opened Outlook Data File in File/Open, as instructed, but I didn't see any file called archive.pst. All there is are two "Personal File Folders" (pff?) called "archive" and "Outlook." When I try to open "archive," a window appears in the middle that says "Archive Folders," in place of where I used to have my inbox with all my emails showing. It is now totally blank. Then I go to the left under the tree, to "Archive Folders," and click "Inbox," and it is still totally blank. My sent items are there, though, as well as my deleted items, also under the Archive head folder.

Any clues as to what I am diong wrong? Has my computer not been archiving my received emails?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently you do not display file extensions for known file types. You should - it can be dangerous to hide them. You can change this in Windows Explorer:
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the View tab.
    - Clear the check box "Hide file extensions for known file types".
    - Click OK.

About your problem:
    - Right-click your Inbox in Outlook.
    - Select Properties from the popup menu.
    - Activate the AutoArchive tab.
    - See what the AutoArchive settings are. Perhaps your Inbox is not AutoArchived.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I did as you said, and when I got to the Inbox Properties dialogue box, it showed "Do not archive items in this folder." What does this mean? Has Outlook been permanently deleting my inbox messages every time it has asked if I wanted to archive?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Do not archive items in this folder." means what it says: items in the Inbox are not archived, i.e. they are left alone when AutoArchive runs. So if you have e-mails disappearing, it is not done by Outlook's AutoArchive feature. They should remain in your Inbox until you delete them or move them to another folder.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Check to see if there are messages in the Inbox which are not being displayed. In the left side navigation pane, select/click the Inbox. Enter Ctrl-Shift-F to bring up the Advanced Find dialog. Make sure the defaults are to look for Messages in the selected Inbox, and clear any "More Choices" and "Advanced Settings" tab options. Leave "Search for the words" blank, and click Find. Make a note of the date range of any messages fround.

If messages are found, but you cannot see all or any of them in standard view, you have a filter or other view setting which is hiding the messages. Look in View | Arrange by | Current View | Customize, to see if a Filter is set.

If no messages are found, or not all messages you would expect to see are found, you have an archive setting or Rule (posibly both) which is moving them to another folder or PST file. Examine Tools | Rules for rules pertaining to the Inbox folder, and right click the Folder and select Properties for archive settings.

What do you see?

Also, can you advise if this mailbox is on Exchange server?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

I just realized the mistake I was making. When I didn't find an email in my inbox, I assumed that it was being archived; when I didn't find it in the archive, I assumed Outlook deleted it. In fact, now that I recall, that email was never sent; it turned out to be an oral conversation. All of my messages in my Inbox are still there and none of them have been deleted or archived.

Every now and then, I back up all my emails. If I copy archive.pst to my external harddrive, will all my archives sent emails be transferred over?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're currently not archiving your e-mails at all, so copying Archive.pst to an external drive will not transfer e-mails. You can copy your standard .pst (usually called Outlook.pst) - this contains all e-mails, appointments, etc. that are available in folders under Outlook Today.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Actually, I have been archiving my sent emails; only my received emails haven't been being archived. Thus, if I copy archive.pst to my external drive, will my sent emails be backed up?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, obviously.