2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Primary Indexes disappeared (2003)

On a database which I have had running for a few years now I suddenly had a problem where the primary index on about 6 of the 30 odd tables suddenly no longer had a primary index defined. I regularly do a compact & repair on the database. It is used by half a dozen people on a daily basis.

Has anyone experienced this problem before - and any suggestions of how to prevent it?

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Primary Indexes disappeared (2003)

I don't know of a way to prevent this, but you might consider creating a blank new database and importing all database objects from the problem database into the new one. Set the startup options as in the original database, and set the references as needed in the Visual Basic Editor. Then use the new database instead of the old one (which you can keep as a backup).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans
    I have a blank copy of the database, so I used that to check what each index should be and reapplied these to the "faulty" database. All the data now seems OK. Would it have been preferable to copy the data to a blank version, rather than fixing the original?
    Any feelings about a cause for this type of problem?
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is very difficult to say why an Access database sometimes becomes corrupt. One possible cause is a flaky network connection. In my previous job, we had one database that kept causing problems, and IT eventually traced this to two users; they turned out to be on a segment of the network that sometimes dropped the connection. Access is very sensitive to network glitches.

If the database is OK now, I wouldn't worry, but I've found that if a database starts behaving strangely, it sometimes helps to copy everything into an empty database and use that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you do have a valid copy of the database (that is, with all indexes and relationships), you easily re-establish these in your current database by using the Liquorman Utilities . This is also useful if you create a new empty database and import the tables from the old database.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Mark, I'll have a look at the utilities later with another copy of the database.
    John