Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 S-L-O-W (2003)

Outlook 2003 (which I've used successfully for years) is now taking up 98% to 100% of my CPU process much of the time and of course that means the machine is frozen much of the time. I can write a sentence and then I have to go do something else until that sentence finally appears on the screen.

I've archived up to July 1, so I have the bulk off. I've used the repair tool several times. I've tried to search for help online, but to no avail. Any suggestions? Email is vital to my work, and I'm barely able to use it.

One time in the past, I found instructions for doing something to reduce the size of my pst file, but I can't find those instructions now and don't know if that's the problem. I haven't reloaded the program--because that's sometimes a major deal. I don't even know how to translate kbs into GBs to know if it's too large. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

I'd appreciate advice.

Oh, I'm running 2003 on my XP computer--no Exchange server or anything fancy.

I'm also running McAfee, which could well be the culprit. I changed the setting so that it doesn't scan outgoing mail, but that didn't help at all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 S-L-O-W (2003)

Try setting Outlook to start in Outlook Today.
    Or if you don't want to do that, activate Outlook Today once after you start Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. It worked. It was so simple that I couldn't believe it could be the answer and so I waited to acknowledge that merely changing the starting page seems to cure the lag between typing and seeing the type on the screen. AMAZING.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See the thread starting at <post:=649,311>post 649,311</post:> for some background.

Thanks

I was just going to post a problem I was having on my work laptop (connected to Exchange). I experience this problem occasionally and it just seems to come and go. I use HTML format for my emails. All tonight, whenever I typed an email, it was taking (depending on length I typed before stopping), somewhere around 20-40 seconds for the text to display on screen. This was driving me nuts. The sys admin had no ideas why it was happening or what to do. We experimented with other formats (plain text and rich text) and neither of these had the same problem. Only HTML format caused the problem. I read this thread and said what the hay, let me try this. So I clicked up to the root of my email (it's not Outlook today under our Exchange system), displayed the Outlook today screen then went back to my Inbox. I then opened a test email and voila!, the problem was gone.

This is amazing. But what is the underlying problem and why does this work?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See my recent reply to Reva. If you have Spybot Search & Destroy and/or SpywareBlaster, they have added thousands of "bad" sites to the Restricted Sites list. After a Microsoft update in May, Outlook checks the list of Restricted Sites each time you type a character in HTML mode. For some unexplained reason, activating Outlook Today turns off this crazy behavior.