Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

IE 7.0 Home Page (XP Home)

When attempting to change my neighbor's home page on IE7 I get an error message saying "This operatin has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Consult your system administrator."
    However, it's running under the System Administrator's user name. I discovered that she had Norton running which has a feature that blocks changes to the home page, but I turned that off. But I still get the error message. I also found some references to group policy, but I thought that didn't apply to XP Home. Also, there was a recommended registry fix, but upon drilling down in HKEY_CURRENT USER the registry didn't have the RestrictionsNoBrowserOptions key that was supposed to be changed.

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 7.0 Home Page (XP Home)

Has Sppybot Search & Destroy been installed on this PC? This also has a setting to disable changing the home page: under Tools | IE Tweaks, there is a check box "Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)". This should be cleared.

You can also check the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerControl Panel and look for an entry in the right hand pane named HomePage. Make sure that this is either absent or if it exists, that it is set to 0.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

My neighbor finally returned home and I checked for Spy Bot. It wasn't installed, but I noticed remnants of a previous installation in the Program Files folder. In case there was some residual code I downloaded and installed Spy Bot, but nowhere do I find a Tools | IE Tweaks. For that matter I don't find a Tools menu anywhere. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

Next, I tried your registry suggestion and it was already set to 0. Perhaps I should uninstall IE 7 and reinstall it?

Frankly, there are other weird things going on with her computer. It is a Sony Viao inherited from a son-in-law.

In addition to not permitting changes to the IE Internet Options, it won't open a power point slide show attachment to an email . When I try directly from an Outlook Express email attachment it says there is no file associated with it! However, if I first save the attachment to the HD and then click on it, it opens with the power point viewer -- obviously pps files ARE associated with the viewer. (I made sure to check the association in the Registered File Types list).

So I am at a bit of a loss to explain these anomolies with her system. All suggestions are welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To see Tools in Spybot S&D, you must select Mode | Advanced Mode, it is not available in Default Mode. In Advanced Mode, you'll see Tools in the vertical bar on the left hand side; click on it to display the available tools.

In general, I don't think it is a good idea to open attachments directly from an e-mail. They should always be saved. So I wouldn't worry much about the PowerPoint problem.

You mentioned that you had already checked for an entry named NoBrowserOptions under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerRestrictions. To make sure, also check for an entry of the same name under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInterne t ExplorerRestrictions.

I don't know whether uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 will help. I'd only do this as a last resort.