5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Permission in My Files (Home Premium)

I have a new PC that is running Windows Vista and I'm encountering some of Vista's restrictions. I am an Access database developer so I have a lot of Access files and some other file categories so I added a "Data" folder under my name in the C:Users path and added a number of folders, including my Access folder, under the Data folder. When I try to open a split database Vista has a problem with the links from the routines in the front-end file to the tables in the back-end file and I get the message that I don't have the needed permissions to gain access to the back-end file. The front-end and back-end files are in the same folder! If I open a 1-file database where the routines and the tables are in the same file, I don't have any problem.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: No Permission in My Files (Home Premium)

Not sure of the problem, but some things to consider or try:
    1. Note that the fact that the front end and back end are in the same directory is not relevant.
    2. You don't say whether you used Vista Access to split the files, or whether they were already split. If they were split previously, the owner of the back end could be a different user (note that even if the user 'name' is the same, it could / would be a different user from a different version of Windows, or a different machine).
    - 2.1 If this is the case, just copy the backend under the current user, rename the old back end to some other name, then rename the copy to the real name)
    3. Also check the permissions under the properties of the file.
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you used the Linked Table Manager to relink the tables? Otherwise the front end will still be trying to access the data files on your old computer.

What happens if you try to open one of the data files by itself? Can you read the data in the tables?
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Peter,

>> 1. Note that the fact that the front end and back end are in the same directory is not relevant. <<
    Well, it seems to me that the fact that the front-end file is in the same folder and I already have it open indicates that I do have permission to access files in that folder. I suppose permissions could be different on the individual files but the error message seemed to indicate the problem was with the folder permissions.

>> 2. You don't say whether you used Vista Access to split the files, or whether they were already split. If they were split previously, the owner of the back end could be a different user (note that even if the user 'name' is the same, it could / would be a different user from a different version of Windows, or a different machine). <<
    In this case, the files are all Access 97 and the split was done several years ago. However, the back-end file I was trying to link to was saved in Access 97 format from a copy of the database that has been converted to Access 2003. The conversions to 2003 and back to 97 were done on someone else's computer. I suppose that might have been the problem. I looked at the file's properties and they do show that I have all the permissions on it. Strangely, it lists the file name as HabData97.mdt in the properties while its actual file name in Windows Explorer is HabData97.mdb!

The final word... This morning I tried to link to the old back-end file that I've been using all along and I still got one of the errors I got yesterday (see attachment) but it did link OK after I ignored the error message. I have come to believe that is an error that many of us have been getting from way back in the beginning that just has to be ignored. After that successful linking, I tried again to link to the new file and after ignoring that error message it linked fine! When I tried to ignore error messages yesterday, and it seems like I got several different ones, it would end up closing Access or refusing to go on. I don't know what caused it to be different today, but I am back in business.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Yes, when I first opened Access it was trying to use old linking to a folder that did not actually exist any longer. My database has a routine that automatically checks the linking and is supposed recognize that problem and allow me to select the new back-end file but I ran into permission problems in that process and it closed the database. Then I opened it again with Shift depressed so it would not try to check the linking, and I used the Linked Table Manager to try to link to the correct back-end. I also got errors in that process that shut me down again. When I tried again this morning, the first (built-in) method failed but the second one through the Linked Table Manager worked fine. I've explained it in a little more detail in the answer to the other response I received.

Thanks for you help.

Bill