Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

How Spell checker works & how/what does it store? (Word 2002 XP SR3)

How does the Spell checker work?

Im getting calls to the effect of "..spell checker is not picking up my spelling mistakes in my documents:

What I discover is when I select All the document and goto Tools, Language, Set Language...
    the checkbox "Do not check spelling or grammer" is greyed out. Which indicates to me that the particular section in the document has been set not to spell check.

To resolve, with all the document selected I untick the checkbox, and then perform a spell check.

how is this set?

Does it store the spelling internally with each document somehow?

many thanks

diana

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: How Spell checker works & how/what does it store? (Word 2002 XP SR3)

The language setting is a font setting, so it is applied to certain blocks of text.
    (Even though the language setting is under the tools menu, it should really be under the Format Font menu).
    It can also be set as part of a style; perhaps part of your document has a style set, that has 'do not check' set.
    Note you can search for text that has this setting - Edit, Find, More, Format, Language.
    Hope this helps
    Peter

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Peter thank you for your help.

yes that was the cause

custom styles were created with the setting turned off "Do not check spelling or grammer". The documents were used as "templates" and other documents were created via a Save As, and therefore had the style in the new documents.

To resolve I suspect the styles may have to be edited, and the style copied across into documents.

thanks again Peter

diana

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I discovered that yes there are 2 styles setup with the setting ticked "Do not check spelling or grammer "

However I discovered on a Normal style paragraph with the setting unticked "Do not check spelling or grammer "
    if I insert a field, select the field the setting is greyedout/half ticked. "Do not check spelling or grammer "

Does this mean field are excluded from spell check or grammer?

Is just the sections of text that have Spell checked excluded, are all fields.

When I change the field to regular text using Ctrl+Shift+F9, the result is the checkbox is now definately ticked "Do not check spelling or grammer "

Are fields are excluded from spell checker?

Another question:
    when you perform a spell check, and click Ignore All, does this turn on the setting "Do not check spelling or grammer "

These fields may contain pages of text. We have many documents setup with these types of fields.
    Would the following be a workable solution: write code to :
    on Open
    check the type of document
    if document type is made of all these types of fields then
    select all
    turn off the setting "Do not check spelling or grammer "

thank you

diana

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: How Spell checker works & how/what does it sto

>> Does this mean field are excluded from spell check or grammar?
    Yes

>> Is just the sections of text that have Spell checked excluded, are all fields.
    Just the sections with that 'formatting' of no spell checking.

>> Are fields are excluded from spell checker?
    Those ones are, I don't know why. Fields are not normally excluded from spell checking.

>> when you perform a spell check, and click Ignore All, does this turn on the setting "Do not check spelling or grammer "
    No

The best solution would be to determine why that option is being turned on. I suspect a rogue style.

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most fields are automatically set to "Do not check spelling or grammar". If you select some text that includes such a field, the check box "Do not check spelling or grammar" will be gray, indicating that the setting is not the same across all the selected text. As far as I know, you cannot turn off this default behavior.